2-yr old bantam hen crowing!?

Sandrachx

Songster
13 Years
Oct 16, 2007
Chelsea, MI
a fox paid a visit 3 weeks ago and took off with my rooster (they were free ranging and we were on the other side of the yard, not 20 yards away - he came out of the corn field). a gang of racoons got into my run/coop and killed 4 hens, 4 chicks last week. i have 3 hens left and for the past two days the bantam hen has started crowing in the a.m. - up on her toes, throwing her head back and crowing! what's that about?

Ummm....I dont have a response, cuz I am speechless

I have never heard of a hen crowing, I didnt know that they had a crowing apparatus.
wink.png

Maybe this will give you a bump and someone else will reply.

She has stepped up to be the "man of the coop" is what it sounds like to me. I have never had that happen myself but have heard of others who had a crowing hen

Remember the song Lola Girls will be boys and boys will be girls
Its a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for lola
or something like that. But anyway it's just a sign of the times.
lol.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I herd once that when there is no Rooster that a hen will take on the role and even start to crow. Sounds like she is now on guard from the predators the have came! Just my guess! Is she still laying?

My bantam hen crowed one time, too! It's hilarious! She's only done it once though. I'm hoping she doesn't keep it up, else my neighbors might not appreciate it! :-X

I don't have any 2 year olds but my hens like to crow at me simply because I make that sound. they have started to mimic me.

Quote:
that makes sense, the "on guard" stance. they don't wander far from the coop like the used to either. she is still laying - she's the only one laying! so i get 1 egg per day. i actually had to buy eggs the other day!!!

Wow, I remember that despiration from last winter when we had to buy eggs from the store! She isn't likely to stop unless you get another rooster that will feel the need to put that girl in her place!
wink.png
Otherwise, she is the most dominant of the group and is now watching out for herself and for her coopmates. Crowing is probably her way of coping with this new 'stress' of the loss of her full flock.

Back
Top Bottom