2 yr old hen keeps shaking head

charmed one

Show Me State Gal
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
Near Truman Lake, Mo
I have a 2 yr old RIR hen that has been sitting around shaking her head. She's not really lathargic but won't come out of the coop. She is not gagging and is breathing fine. I thought maybe something was on her head but can't see anything and she doesn't shake her head like that.(It is just a feeling I have) I think something is in her head or ears. She looks healthy except for that. Any suggestions?

Have you looked her over carefully for mites or lice? Have you tried looking down her throat? Is she eating and laying okay? I vaguely remember hearing about ear infections or ear mites, gonna have to see if I can track down any info....How long has this been going on?

Maybe 5 days. I don't see any lice or mites. How do I go about looking down her throat and what am I looking for? She did not roost last night but got up when I brought in fresh water to drink. I put some Wazine in their water this morning to worm them. I can feel her breast bone but she doesn't look skinny.

PS....Thanks for answering me. I appreciate it!
smile.png

Last edited:
this is most likly a upper respitory problem give the whole flock liquid albon for the amont of one table spoon per gal of water just my opinion

it used to be used widly in the polter bissness for mutiple use for respatore problems you can get it at the vet are that is were i get it and it even works on dogs and rabbits with cocsieda

Back
Top Bottom