20 week old hen acting lethargic, has diarrhea, is drinking LOTS of water, full crop.

CharissaWirick

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2023
Hello all,
My 20 week old EE is acting lethargic starting today. She has mucusy/ white diarrhea, but no blood.
The signs were pointing me to coccidiosis, so I started a round of Corid in their waterer. I also gave her 2 ml directly into her mouth via syringe this morning.
Once I have her the Corid, she started drinking water again. I start thinking this was a good sign, but she drank a lot of water all afternoon, almost non-stop. Her crop is very full. It doesn't feel hard. It feels like a water balloon (makes sense with the amount she has been drinking). I tried to gently squeeze it to see if gas would release... nothing. I tried smelling her breath to see if she had a sour smell, but also nothing.
She is still standing hunched up-like and and is acting lethargic. I had to physically put her inside of the coop tonight, but she stood with her eyes closed (photo below).
All of this has developed within this day.
Do you all think my suspicions of coccidiosis are correct? If so, when do you think she may show signs of improvement? I just want my little Egger Allan Poe to start feeling better.

Attachments

• IMG_7492.jpg
    IMG_7492.jpg
    453.1 KB · Views: 83
My 20 week old EE is acting lethargic starting today. She has mucusy/ white diarrhea, but no blood.
The signs were pointing me to coccidiosis, so I started a round of Corid in their waterer. I also gave her 2 ml directly into her mouth via syringe this morning.
Once I have her the Corid, she started drinking water again. I start thinking this was a good sign, but she drank a lot of water all afternoon, almost non-stop. Her crop is very full.
What do you feed, including treats?
Do you provide grit (crushed granite) for your pullets?
Oyster shell?

Photos of her poop would be good.

Yes, I would have started her on the Corid.
It's unclear if you gave her 2ml of Mixed Corid Water or an undiluted Direct Drench.

If you wish to give a drench in addition to her drinking the Mixed Corid, then direct oral dose of undiluted Liquid Corid is 0.10ml per pound of weight given 1-2 times a day for 3 days. This is in addition to her drinking the mixed Corid water at a rate of 2tsp Liquid Corid to 1 Gallon of water for 5-7 days.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

Her continuous drinking points to a crop problem. Check to see if her crop empties overnight (check it first thing in the morning before she eat/drinks). If it's not empty, then you will want to begin treatment according to this article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

What do you feed, including treats?
Do you provide grit (crushed granite) for your pullets?
Oyster shell?

Photos of her poop would be good.

Yes, I would have started her on the Corid.
It's unclear if you gave her 2ml of Mixed Corid Water or an undiluted Direct Drench.

If you wish to give a drench in addition to her drinking the Mixed Corid, then direct oral dose of undiluted Liquid Corid is 0.10ml per pound of weight given 1-2 times a day for 3 days. This is in addition to her drinking the mixed Corid water at a rate of 2tsp Liquid Corid to 1 Gallon of water for 5-7 days.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

Her continuous drinking points to a crop problem. Check to see if her crop empties overnight (check it first thing in the morning before she eat/drinks). If it's not empty, then you will want to begin treatment according to this article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
They are on a layer feed mixed with scratch feed from our local feed mill. As far as snacks go, they had cucumber leaves and broccoli leaves over the last couple of days. They do no free range unless myself or my husband are out to watch them.
They do have grit, we have constrcution/ leveling sand as the floor of our run and coop. They have a seperate feeder of oyster shell.
I administered 2 ml of undiluted drench yesterday morning. They are on no additional vitamins or electrolytes, although I plan to give some after the Corid run.
The continuous drinking confused me. I thought that was a good sign that she was drinking again, but then she drank so much. I will check and see if her crop has emptied overnight and I will report back!

I administered 2 ml of undiluted drench yesterday morning. They are on no additional vitamins or electrolytes, although I plan to give some after the Corid run.
The continuous drinking confused me. I thought that was a good sign that she was drinking again, but then she drank so much. I will check and see if her crop has emptied overnight and I will report back!

They do have grit, we have constrcution/ leveling sand as the floor of our run
How is she doing now?

I would not give that much undiluted Corid to her again, give the correct amount of 0.10ml per pound of weight, 1-2times a day for 3 days in addition to her drinking the mixed Corid water.

Construction sand may have large enough particles granite in it suitable for grit. Hard to know, it just depends on the composition of the sand.
You can find Grit (Crushed Granite) at stores like TSC, just put a little in a separate container like you do with the oyster shell.

Back
Top Bottom