2013 first hatch photos

How strange, you sure, scavengers ...crows, ..magpies... rats etc...take them ? my 2 girls . always lay them in their houses on straw beds.....mostly still warm when feeding them.
Calla

Last edited:
How strange, you sure, scavengers ...crows, ..magpies... rats etc...take them ?
I'm on my 41st egg from my 2 girls this morning.. always lay them in their houses on straw beds.....mostly still warm when feeding them.
Calla

A woman in Lampasas, Texas saw raccoons reaching under her male emu (while he was setting the nest) stealing eggs... so it's very possible that a predator got some of them

‘Trance-like state’? Yes – but it sure is counter-intuitive that the male would not notice.

S.E.

I dunno.. all she said was she went out to check on the birds since she thought she had left her chicken coop unlocked.. when she turned the flashlight past the emu she spotted the raccoon.. when she went over her emu was still in his "trance like state" and I would assume was pretty much asleep

Since I wasn't there all i can go on is what she said.. she has had the emus for about 20 years or so.. so she's been through a lot of hatches with her pair.

I've walked up on a few of mine at night when they were sleeping (not setting eggs naturally because they are just yearlings). Mine barely opened an eye. So all I can assume was that her male felt secure enough when he was in "broody emu mode" that nothing much bothered him... lol.. either that or he's just too old to care anymore!

Back
Top Bottom