2015 Breeding Season Plan & Results

Birdrain92

Crowing
6 Years
Jun 7, 2013
Idaho
Well since I haven't seen any 2015 Breeding Results I decided that I would start one but a little different than the 2014 one. Here you can post what males you're planning to breeding to which females to show those that might be surfing the web looking for peafowl breeders 2015 they can see the parents by posting pics. Pictures are always good. Also post pics of how your Breeding Season is going males with the bump on the back of the neck, fanning more often and hens showing signs of laying and the cute peachicks!

I don't think I've put up a photo since I got up to 9 eggs.... but not optimistic at this point, the first four look clear... That would be results of zero -- but then, it is still only January 3rd
lau.gif

This year my two IB split to white boys will be three, so I might end up with some white chicks! Of course I'll also have blues. Oh. almost forgot, Sally, my spalding hen might lay some eggs. If she does, the gal I got that gave he to me gets two of her chicks.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Well I doubt I will have a pen for each peacock this summer so it will probably be more of my 7 peafowl breeding group setup which is what I did in 2014: http://bamboopeacock.com/Breeding_Plan.html
I am lazy, so here is a link to photos of each bird as well as info about each bird: http://bamboopeacock.com/Peafowl.html
With this breeding there is a possibility of getting pied, white, India Blue split to white & blackshoulder, dark pied, India blue split to white.

I am still trying to decide if I will do any hatching. AugeredIn got 2 pretty pied peacocks from the eggs I sold him and I have really been wanting to hatch out a pied, but I don't know if I really NEED another pied. I only want to hatch if I can keep at least one chick of what I hatch haha.

AugeredIn also told me I should sell my peafowl eggs for more money especially since I am not really selling birds. I was selling them for $5.00 but should I go up to $20.00? Or is that too much? I feel bad making people pay more for eggs that can be hard to hatch, but then again I do need the money for my peafowl since I am not big on hatching out a lot of peachicks each year.

I *might* be getting green peafowl this year but they would probably be too young to mate. But all breeding of them would be green to green. I don't want to get into breeding for spaldings it just isn't for me. I pestered my dad the other day about how I need help building a shelter for the new pen for the green peafowl and he said he has to help his friend do something and then his friend will make the shelter for me. Luckily I get to help so I will be paying attention so that I will know what to do in the future so I won't have to wait forever to get just one pen done. This pen was talked about for a long time, started a long time ago, and now it is far past time that it should be finished.

I hope you get the greens, i am also trying to get info on greens, i do not want them to make spaldings just greens.

Next season i am hatching all i can and raising them up till Christmas, then post them for sale, i almost sold out of pairs and trios and guineas also in the month of December so i am ready to start over. I love raising up these babies and making them all so tame, Folks are just so happy with them, makes me smile
smile.png

I have a list to fill for pea hatching eggs, i get 7 dollars each for them in lots of 4 or more, 10 dollars if they want less than 4

If you need any specific green peafowl info let me know and I might know the answer or have it written or typed down somewhere. I won't know hardly anything 1st hand until I actually have some, but it helped seeing lots of them in person and getting to get up close to hand feed one. The colors up close are very mesmerizing, but of course I feel the same way about India Blues. Josh of the Rocking BAB has some of the most experience with green peafowl since he has so many of them and hatches a good amount of them each year. I think it is easier to call him than to try emailing. He gave me some good green info in 2013 but in 2014 he was too busy to really talk to much. I figure I will get any final questions in if and when I get a green from him. I don't really have many questions left though that I can think of. Josh has a good article he wrote very recently about their American Green peafowl: http://rockingbabranch.com/green-peafowl/ He did lots of searching to find some of the best green peafowl in America and he used the Imported muticus muticus greens as an example of what to look for in green peafowl in America. He only selects American greens that look like they would be Javanese - so they all have nice bright color. He has very nice looking birds. He lists on his site as having an adult American green peacock for sale for $400 dollars but when I talked to him in November he has at least 2 adult American green peacocks for sale.

Last edited:
He has very nice looking birds thanks to you i know this, i see he ha a male for 400 i am waiting to see what he may have in the spring in the way of babies, i do not want adults, if i can not get babies i will not get any so might be making a trip your way if things work out, perhaps we can meet up for a visit, i figured we would bring the camper and stay for a week just hanging out at different places then go pick up some if it works out.
I NEED A VACATION for real last time i went to Florida was in 2000 i believe , enjoyed it so much
clap.gif
I still have a water bottle of Florida's white sand .

Thanks so much for the future help
wink.png
your website has so much info thanks for making it
clap.gif

Well I doubt I will have a pen for each peacock this summer so it will probably be more of my 7 peafowl breeding group setup which is what I did in 2014: http://bamboopeacock.com/Breeding_Plan.html
I am lazy, so here is a link to photos of each bird as well as info about each bird: http://bamboopeacock.com/Peafowl.html
With this breeding there is a possibility of getting pied, white, India Blue split to white & blackshoulder, dark pied, India blue split to white.

I am still trying to decide if I will do any hatching. AugeredIn got 2 pretty pied peacocks from the eggs I sold him and I have really been wanting to hatch out a pied, but I don't know if I really NEED another pied. I only want to hatch if I can keep at least one chick of what I hatch haha.

AugeredIn also told me I should sell my peafowl eggs for more money especially since I am not really selling birds. I was selling them for $5.00 but should I go up to $20.00? Or is that too much? I feel bad making people pay more for eggs that can be hard to hatch, but then again I do need the money for my peafowl since I am not big on hatching out a lot of peachicks each year.

I *might* be getting green peafowl this year but they would probably be too young to mate. But all breeding of them would be green to green. I don't want to get into breeding for spaldings it just isn't for me. I pestered my dad the other day about how I need help building a shelter for the new pen for the green peafowl and he said he has to help his friend do something and then his friend will make the shelter for me. Luckily I get to help so I will be paying attention so that I will know what to do in the future so I won't have to wait forever to get just one pen done. This pen was talked about for a long time, started a long time ago, and now it is far past time that it should be finished.

I think that is too expensive. I wouldn't pay for it though of course I like small breeders because they actually sell for the right price. I plan on doing hatching eggs $2.00 since they are not guaranteed to hatch. People in Idaho that are bigger into breeding sell IB peafowl both young and adults for $30 Don't know about hatching eggs though for them. But I would say if you could guarantee the what is hatching out other than Pieds then raise your price above $7.50. I wouldn't even be willing to buy an IB peachick like newly hatched over $20. You can call me Mr. Cheapo but IB is the most common so it shouldn't be expensive.

What "should" a peachick or a pea egg cost?

There's lots of ways to measure that. If a buyer feels like they got a fair deal (not ripped off), and the seller feels like he or she got a reasonable amount of money for what they put into the product, then they are both happy.

Some people think a fair price is one that people are willing to pay.

A basic business principle is that if your selling price is less than what it costs you to produce the product, you will soon go broke. Hobbyists sometimes are just trying to defray costs a bit and not go quite so broke, quite so fast.

I suggest, at least as far as eggs go, that you have a look at ebay records of sales and see what eggs are going for there... and those are sold with NO guarantees as to hatching. Some eggs or lots of eggs are going for quite a bit. Others not so much. But generally significantly more than what you guys are asking, sounds like.

MinxFox & BirdRain, have you added up the cost of your feed over a year? How many eggs do you get? How many chicks to sell? What about costs for wormers and amprolium, and pen building supplies?

When I have hay to sell, I check the market report and find out what the going rate is. I ask my friends what they are paying and/or getting for it. Sometimes I am astonished, when I haven't been following the prices... I think it's important to talk to other people with peas in your geographic region, to see what "market" prices may be.

You both have college bills either coming up or coming due... let those birds do some of the work for you
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom