2015 HALLOWEEN Hatch-a-Long, Join us IF YOU DARE!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Sally Sunshine, Sep 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AllAboutMyGirls

AllAboutMyGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2015
    MD & VA

I have a Genesis too. My hydrometer went crazy so I bought 2 more and now they all say something different. The Genesis says humidity is at 48 and my hydrometers say 52 and 54. Sooo frustrating.

2. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Wodland, CA
    My Coop
    Don't sweat it!

Those readings are all close enough for good hatches. It is more important to watch air cell growth and adjust humidity based on that.

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

TOTALLY AGREE these numbers are close enough, UNLIKE TEMPS which NEED to be SPOT ON! You have a small window with temps depending on models!

4. kguinness76

kguinness76 Just the Chicks

Mar 7, 2015
    Douglas, MA
    Thanks, that makes me feel better.

5. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

They ended up not getting them. The person pmed me with pics of the parents and it was clear that they weren't really purebred ayam cemanis, so they passed on them. The price was too good to be true, because unfortunately it was :(

If you want a nice all black bird that doesn't cost an arm and a leg I'd recommend silkies or sumatras. Not as black as ACs but still nice and dark. And appropriate for a Halloween hatch! If my darn ayam cemanis get done with their molts and start laying before the 10th that's what I'm setting!

6. tao chick

tao chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2015
    Herkimer County, NY
    Noted!
    The eggs should arrive tomorrow. I will check air cells and let you know how they look. I have some old computer fans around here somewhere. I will search for a fixable one and request your assistance from there.
    I have done two hatches. The first I had an average temp of 100F and hatched 25 healthy chicks out of 45 eggs (4 were infertile, 2 chick deaths right after hatch) set. The second I had an average temp of 102F and hatched 5 healthy chicks out of 10 eggs (1 infertile, 1 early chick death) set. My plan is to aim for 101F unless I get the fan working, them 100F. I have a thermometer hygrometer combo thing. It is accurate based on my home thermostat which measures humidity too. Should I calibrate it anyway?

7. TJChickens

TJChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2014
    East of San Diego
    You are so welcome! Can't wait to hear how they do!! [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Thank you! Good luck on the contest! Looking forward to your entry. [​IMG]

8. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    where exactly are you taking temps in the still air?

9. tao chick

tao chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2015
    Herkimer County, NY
    I have it in the center where I can see it through the window. It monitors the range so I know whether there's a drop or spike in humidity or temp. Last hatch I moved it around when I turned the eggs, but always viewable through the window.

10. hippiestink

hippiestink Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the tip @Pyxis ! I'll be sure to take a gander and see what's available in my area. Coulda sworn I saw an all-black bird from our usual seller but I haven't the faintest idea if he has those anymore.

Totally not bird-related, but I made a new soap that'll be ready for sale just in time for Halloween! What Pumpkin has real pumpkin puree and is scented with a pumpkin spice oil! I went Pollock-y on the top and got this really neat splatter effect.

[​IMG]

I also tried a swirl pattern that'll show in the sliced soap. I hope it turns out!

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by