2015 HALLOWEEN Hatch-a-Long, Join us IF YOU DARE!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Sally Sunshine, Sep 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brat Flock

Brat Flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2015
    Indiana

Mine too! It's like Christmas except the packages all say do not open until Haloween :D what do you have coming? I have Black Marans coming from Littlepeddler, feeling kinda apprehensive as this is my first hatch!

2. Penny Hen

Penny Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    Goodlettsville, TN
    Hey I have a 12+ eggs half Olive Egger and half EE if anyone would like them for hatching. The color genes are BBS and Silver Duckwing mostly. Email me if interested.

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    but at what level? below eggs top of eggs?

beautiful!

[​IMG]

set little end down, (remember air cell will be located in the fat end of the egg so when you hold the flashlight to candle at the fat end of egg, thats when you should see it)
    just follow your procedure you have already set up, sometimes you cant see air cells :)

hubs thinks it is probably too big, anyone else have input? is there a way to make fan slow down safely? its way bigger than the little computer fans we installed[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. shahtir101

shahtir101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2015
    I have 8+ Millie fleur duccles coming. I'm also getting some serama crosses that are local. So I will have a full bator![​IMG]

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    edit, nevermind I am told its spammer

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  6. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA

Awesome! Pretty goaties in your Avatar!

7. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Let me see if I can get a picture of how I mounted my fan in my LG. It's smaller than yours but I think you should still be able to do this one the way I did mine. I threaded the cord through one of the humidity holes and attached the fan on the inside right underneath the hole, then wired the cord on the outside afterward. It worked really well.

8. tao chick

tao chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2015
    Herkimer County, NY

It is an acurite thermometer hygrometer from Walmart. It sits magnet side down next to the eggs. I believe the sensor measures somewhere in the middle of the eggs.

I have the eggs set. The two with detached air cells and all 4 of the BCM are fat end up in the carton. The rest I'm treating as normal.

The fan is slow moving, but it is too big. When I build an incubator I'll use it, but not for this hatch. Pyxis, I think it would interfere with the heating element in mine. I'll remeasure tomorrow.

Thanks all.

9. shahtir101

shahtir101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2015
    Thanks.

10. Honora

Honora Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Ok, turns out I was not seeing the air cell; I candled from the top down & I could see they look fine! So I have 6 developing in the incubator and 6 under the broodies. I would like to have the broodies raise all the chicks cause less work for me, so hopefully I can add the incubator chicks after hatching if all goes well. The incubator eggs are a day behind the broody eggs.

So hopefully I will have some cute Orpington chicks hatch out around the 16th!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by