2015 HALLOWEEN Hatch-a-Long, Join us IF YOU DARE!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Sally Sunshine, Sep 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

[​IMG]

2. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    This looks fun! Hmm, just may have to find me some eggs. Barn yard mixes will do. :p

I have some chicks coming as a replacement of some beautiful eggs that didn't do well during the last EHAL. Wow, what a great person to keep offering, he felt so bad the eggs took a while, then when they got here, there were problems with a few..only had 2 hatch. So, I took him up on it. Getting some Nice pullet Marans chicks when they hatch in a couple of weeks! I love BYC folks..most are just incredibly kind.

Sally, are there going to be contests on this HAL? If so, I would like to offer a gift for a winner. :)

3. youngchooklover

youngchooklover Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    South Australia
    No I don't.
    Yes.

4. CGilbert

CGilbert Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2015
    Spirit Lake, ID
    I suggest to go pick up a cheap one at Walmart or any drug store. The cheap mercury type ones will work just fine. Or whatever's cheapest. It helps to double check and verify. It'll alert you when one is reading wrong. With a still air incubator, temps can fluctuate up to about 5 degrees (Fahrenheit). With circulated air, I've found them to only fluctuate up to a half degree (f).
    Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  5. youngchooklover

Feb 10, 2013
    South Australia
    Thanks!
    I should just get a new one.

6. CGilbert

Aug 2, 2015
    Spirit Lake, ID
    Let me know how your next candling goes. Good luck!

7. Penny Hen

Penny Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    Goodlettsville, TN
    OK now I am tempted to hatch. I ran into a guy at the Tennessee State Fair in Nashville (because there is a State Fair in Knoxville too). He has the most beautiful Bantam Barred Rocks. They had some fine Old English there but his Rocks were just stunning. I talked to him and got his name and number so I could get eggs from him later. I really need to wait to spring but.........

8. youngchooklover

Feb 10, 2013
    South Australia
    I don't candle I don't really know how.

9. CGilbert

Aug 2, 2015
    Spirit Lake, ID
    [​IMG]
    Hold a flashlight below the egg when all lights are turned off and it is dark. You'll be able to see what's going on inside the egg (as long as it's not a brown or dark colored egg). Cup your fingers and thumb around the base of the egg so you aren't blinded by the ambient light.

1 person likes this.
  10. CGilbert

Aug 2, 2015
    Spirit Lake, ID
    We all have that problem with waiting and patience. It's a chicken/duck/poultry addict flaw... that we all happily admit to.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by