2015 HALLOWEEN Hatch-a-Long, Join us IF YOU DARE!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Sally Sunshine, Sep 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. youngchooklover

youngchooklover Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    yo momma
    I don't have a flash light small enough.

2. sonshine15

sonshine15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2015
    I'm so sorry :(

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Oh Cynth! [​IMG][​IMG] I will hatch mixes too I think. That is wonderful, and with chicks!

Yes we are going to do a kids face painting contest and if you have any ideas or would like to run one let me know! I just need to make sure the rules are written BYC style! and thats a copy paste from another contest LOL

your awesome and kind did I mention that lately! I really did miss you, it was fantastic getting to know you on that HAL the other year!

ditto! and putting extra heat sinks in the bator may help hold heat better if you dont have many in it! jars of water or even ziplocks with water! I am sure others have more ideas too! My styro bator was horrible with adjustments in temp at the dial and flux in room temp, so this may help a bit!

Penny Hen! welcome! how are you? I am a sucker for a pretty BR! Welcome welcome!!

do you have a cell phone, or you could make a candler, I have to run to the doc but I am sure someone can help you with a link to a homemade light candler..... I will check back in after my doc to see if you got hooked up!

4. sonshine15

Jun 20, 2015
    Happy Birthday!!! (I get some of the Senior Discounts too........the one that's the greatest discount is the memory one)[​IMG]

5. sonshine15

Jun 20, 2015
    I can relate............I started with chicks my daughter brought me from her farm a few years ago.......went to work at a store that sold chicks........oh my..........what a sneaky addiction this is..........

6. sonshine15

Jun 20, 2015
    DH wants to get one of those radiator looking oil type plug in heaters for the room the bators are in. We are 80s during the day and 40s at night.....the heat lamp from the brooder keeps it pretty warm. Anything I should be aware of on this? [​IMG]

7. CGilbert

CGilbert Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2015
    Spirit Lake, ID
    My hubby would kill me if I worked somewhere that sold them, lol. We'd have WAY too many in NO time.

8. sonshine15

Jun 20, 2015
    That's what happened to me lol!!! But DH seems to be ok with them and is growing quite fond of them until..........it's time for vacation or a trip.................And now I'm hatching them..........[​IMG]

9. DaveOmak

DaveOmak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2013
    Omak, Washington
    My Coop

You need a REALLY bright light that produces little to no heat.... cut an oblong hole in a box... have the light inside the box.... set the egg on the oblong hole... It helps to be in the dark when doing this.... and you may have to line the box with aluminum foil, to intensify the light....

For hand candling, Sally bought a ridiculously bright flashlight some time back on Amazon... something like 5,000 lumens brightness... I think it worked on chocolate Easter eggs, it was so bright....

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  10. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    dray! Happy Belated! I'm older than you are .. neener neener! [​IMG] Actually, I older than you are by a lot. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by