2015 New York Chickenstock

Yes their is a 1st and a 2nd these are special raffles put on by me the first raffle benefits the food bank at the Point Rock United Methodist Church you will get a raffle ticket for each unexpired can good or non perishable you bring you get a ticket and the prize for that is a chick starter pack including chick feed. 2nd raffle again will benefit the same church but the money will be donated to them and in turn they will donate it to the rescue mission of Rome, this one the tickets are $5 each and the prize is a new Efco Chain saw .

I totally agree about the Salvation army that is why I like the Matthews place stuff is much cheaper and they have a food pantry plus will help with things like heat and lights they are there to help the poor not to make a profit.

How are the Blue Swedish ducks doing. Any eggs yet? I could so use a chainsaw.

Update on the hatch. 18 chicks out of 38 eggs. Of the marans only one I think was viable, but they are hard to hatch. Others, EE's and Dels, seem to quit and never fully develop. I don't know why.

I plan to bring some crochet for the auction I think. I have boxes of squares from the granny square swaps to put together.

Oh and some Dinosaur checker boards I made long ago.

Last edited:
Scrat is the name of the prehistoric squirrel in Ice Age. Cause we are in the Ice Age!

If anyone wants some heritage rir chicks, let me know. They will be straight run. I need to know how many as I must plan my egg set accordingly. I may have some silkies available as well after I have hatched some out. Plan on setting eggs the first week of march.

Still contemplating on what to bring. Probably something gluten free but yummy.

Are your RIR straight comb or rose comb ?

Would like to come, but not convinced that anyone else in my household would be willing to make the drive. I don't have a way to get there by myself.
And often we visit family and decorate grave-sites on Memorial Day Weekend, which is usually 4+ hours in the wrong direction to get to "Chickenstock".
For the parties involved in the decision making, family has a little more pull than chickens. But, I can at least ask.

Would like to come, but not convinced that anyone else in my household would be willing to make the drive. I don't have a way to get there by myself.
And often we visit family and decorate grave-sites on Memorial Day Weekend, which is usually 4+ hours in the wrong direction to get to "Chickenstock".
For the parties involved in the decision making, family has a little more pull than chickens. But, I can at least ask.

Well IF you do come are your Swedish Flower hens pure? I'd be interested in some hatching eggs, so that might be motivation to get them to bring you.

Quote: Yes, they will be pure by then, as I separated them into a breeding group on 2/12/15. Hopefully by then they'll pick back up laying, as right now with the cold temps they're taking a break.
I'm also planning on hatching any eggs I get from them for the Easter HAL for myself and anyone else that's interested.
But, that is something good to add to the consideration, as so far many locals are interested.

I mentioned Chickenstock to the family at breakfast this morning, and of course, they laughed at first.
Then, I was asked if we'd have to use my brother's truck & 16ft trailer to haul everything there!
ep.gif
I said, "No way I'm paying for the gas that!"
Then they said, "What about if we get a hitch for the car and bring the 6x8 trailer?" After explaining that if I was to go, I wouldn't bring all of the hobby farm, just what will fit in the car.
The conversation was then changed (on purpose?), so I'll just have to wait and see, discuss it more.

Are your RIR straight comb or rose comb ?
Mine are straight comb.

The Duke...he is a handsome devil! Now if only the girls would leave his tail alone! He is a real good boy. Looks after the girls well and lets me do whatever I want to him. Has never challenged me, not once, or even looked at me wrong.

Mine are straight comb.

The Duke...he is a handsome devil! Now if only the girls would leave his tail alone! He is a real good boy. Looks after the girls well and lets me do whatever I want to him. Has never challenged me, not once, or even looked at me wrong.

I would love some of Duke's babies !! What will you be charging for them ? ...................... or if I have something you are interested in maybe we can work out a swap !

Just joined BYC so I can keep up with info on chicken stock 2015. I am from Ava and only came across this event by randomly surfing Craigslist. Cant wait until spring and excited for this event.

Back
Top Bottom