2015 Peafowl Hatching Support Group - Eggs and Chicks!

Pics
New month, new G's, I get to post again!
celebrate.gif

Here is a little pea with a couple of bald spots on its head, it was a clean unassisted hatch, so no problems there.

DW said it is going to be a cock.

They are selling pretty fast, here are the ones that hatched in the last week.

New month, new G's, I get to post again!
celebrate.gif

Here is a little pea with a couple of bald spots on its head, it was a clean unassisted hatch, so no problems there.

DW said it is going to be a cock.

They are selling pretty fast, here are the ones that hatched in the last week.

They look great!

-Kathy

Well now I am worried. I just candled the eggs in the incubator and some of them have a weird air sacks. Instead of being right at the bottom of the egg it is tilted to the side as if I haven't been turning the eggs. The weird thing is most of the newer eggs are like that, but I have been turning them even more than the older ones. Perhaps I was turning too frequently or leaving them sit too long before the next turn? I have never had this happen before not even in the hatch I attempted before this one.

It is too hard to tell for now but it looks like I only have 3 good ones out of 14.
hmm.png

The egg dates are all from May: 4,5,10,12,14,16,17,19,20,23,24,25,26,27

The good ones are 14, 20 & 26.

Four of the eggs have a tilted air cell. Some of them are more serious than others.

Well now I am worried. I just candled the eggs in the incubator and some of them have a weird air sacks. Instead of being right at the bottom of the egg it is tilted to the side as if I haven't been turning the eggs. The weird thing is most of the newer eggs are like that, but I have been turning them even more than the older ones. Perhaps I was turning too frequently or leaving them sit too long before the next turn? I have never had this happen before not even in the hatch I attempted before this one.

It is too hard to tell for now but it looks like I only have 3 good ones out of 14.
hmm.png

The egg dates are all from May: 4,5,10,12,14,16,17,19,20,23,24,25,26,27

The good ones are 14, 20 & 26.

Four of the eggs have a tilted air cell. Some of them are more serious than others.
Don't look or thing to much about. My experiences are that as more you candling and touching the eggs as more you will lose.
My best results I have if I more or less forget the eggs during hatching. After 3 or 4 days I just have a look if the eggs are fertilized and put out the non-fertilized ones. Then I don’t take care about them anymore, the next candling is then 3 or 4 days before eclosion when I put them into a hatcher without rotation and ventilation.
With this method I have again nearly every fertilized is a chick. I happy that the breeding season for my peafowls are closed to be finished for this year. The last chicks will hopefully eclose in two weeks. This year again, I only hatched 50% of the eggs, otherwise it would be too much.
In US you have the imported birds from Germany and many are saying they are not breeding well, but with the pair I had in the past which were coming out of the same stock I had a hatching rate of 90% in average.
Do it like a hen, she can also not candling the eggs, she is sitting on them and waiting for the chicks.

Last edited:
Quote:
So far I have only gotten hatchlings from either of two pens, other colors should start hatching in another week or two. The IBBS split Cameo cock over all Cameo hens. Or the Purple BS low percentage Spaulding cock who is with a Purple BS low percent hen, an IBBS hen, and three Cameo hens. These chicks are either IB, IBBS, Cameo, Cameo BS, Purple, Purple BS with any number of splits. The one that confuses me is the one with the white flights, split to Pied? Where did that come from? I guess a couple of the Cameo hens do have white flights, one of my yearling Cameo hens has a lot of white on its wings. An observation I have noticed is that the Cameo hens eat a lot more than the other colors and they lay like machines. In total I am getting an average of ten eggs per day out of 28 hens.

You got that right, I just brought home 2 of KsKingBee's pretty little cameo piglets with the ib piglet not far behind. Made sure they had food and water when we got home and the bowls were emptied this morn! And again this eve. Yup, lil piglets! :)

Last edited:
My IB has started laying her second clutch. Assuming decoy egg found in the coop once again yesterday. Hoping these are fertile this go around. Her first clutch of 9 none of them were.

So I've already ordered some to be shipped again. I hatched 2 from the last batch of shipped and sadly the first to hatch and the absolutely sweetest thing ever was no more than 2 days old when one of my cats knocked over its brooder and killed it. Luckily the 2nd hatch was still in the bator fluffing up so...then there was 1!

It is not near as personable as the 1st but will sleep in my lap hand or wherever. Eat from my hand ..etc. but it screeches here and again when picking it up whereas the other would just look up at me from its brooder waiting for me to get it out. So sad.

Of all the years processing our own, predator losses etc I've had my favorites and mourned losses but never cried. Well let me tell you I lost it that morning as my DH woke me yelling because it just happened while he was making coffee and so fast he couldn't stop it in time. Needless to say that cat has been in time out and better safety measures taken for the wee pea.

Weight today @ 7 days old 71g!

Back
Top Bottom