2015 Peafowl Hatching Support Group - Eggs and Chicks!

Pics
Thank you so much! I will do just that.
You have been very helpful.
smile.png

Oh that's terrible! Were the 2 babies already hatched when the dog showed up? Dry and fluffed? If so the one in the egg may have already been having some difficulty, so keep in mind there are no guarantees here. If you can raise the temp to 95-98 that would be better, also take the eggs into a dark quiet room and put your ear to the air cell then talk, cheep or pick it the shell with your nail and see if you get any response. Cheeping or a scritch scratch noise will tell you if they have broken into the air cell. Once they have gotten into the air cell they have about 24 hrs worth of oxygen in there and must break the shell before suffocating, since you won't know when they got into it, if they are in it you should make an air hole for them. If they are not in the air cell, they probably will not hatch. If you make an air cell, return the to the incubator and keep the humidity as high as you can and give them another 24 hrs. to see if they can get out. You'll want to get some chick starter for the little guy, amprolium medicated is best for pea babies. if you can keep him close to the eggs his cheeping may encourage them, seems to happen with ours, once one is out they all start. Good luck and keep us posted.
Thank you so much for the advice. It doesn't look or sound like it's made it's way to the air cell. I can only see movement in the shadow of the air cell so I know it's alive as of last night anyway. I bumped up the temp right now so hopefully he pulls through. I have all my quail on that food so that's what he has been eating. He seems to be getting stronger. Not aure what to do with a peafowl though.... hopefully I can find a home for him/her.

I have been weighing mine. Granted they were shipped so I'm sure I can add a .5g to their loss but here's what I have so far.
These were set late Monday 4/27.
Day 14 check weight date 5/12
#2 Set weight 110g Day 14 99g
#4 Set weight 126g Day 14 119g
#6 Set weight 131g Day 14 120g
#7 Set weight 132g Day 14 122g

I will be weighing again this week Tuesday 5/19 day 21.

I've tried time and again to compute these and I think they are not loosing enough weight. I've taken out the small amount of water I had which was keeping H% at about 33% hot and muggy out now it's steady at 40%

After weighing this week I may insert some unpopped popcorn to lower the humidity.

So no input on this? I weighed again today but if no one can advise on the % of loss and/or formula I won't bother posting today's weights.

On another note I was shocked MondY evening we got home from ballgames and the incubator temp was only at 91! The cats had unplugged it! Luckily I have several quart mason jars in there so temps won't fall too quickly. Then again after I was in bed I just happened to get up and checked. It was at 97.. I moved the outlet I had it in. I candled all today and saw for certain 2 of the 4 still moving. I doubt that small of a low temp would kill them.

So off to try to figure out how my humidity is fairing for the wee ones!

So no input on this? I weighed again today but if no one can advise on the % of loss and/or formula I won't bother posting today's weights.

On another note I was shocked MondY evening we got home from ballgames and the incubator temp was only at 91! The cats had unplugged it! Luckily I have several quart mason jars in there so temps won't fall too quickly. Then again after I was in bed I just happened to get up and checked. It was at 97.. I moved the outlet I had it in. I candled all today and saw for certain 2 of the 4 still moving. I doubt that small of a low temp would kill them.

So off to try to figure out how my humidity is fairing for the wee ones!

Don't know. I asked the question originally.
idunno.gif

wink.png
Oh I know...it was directed at anyone specifically. I am using a homemade incubator for the first time and my very first time hatching Pea eggs so I'm a bit nervous. Well A lot nervous!!

It's so challenging to find good info for Peas out there!!

Yes it is. This is my third year hatching in a bator and I still get terribly nervous.

Okay, so the percentage listed under June 6 was the loss at day 20 and the percentage listed under June 12 was day 26 and they hatched on day 27. Anything with a line thru it died.

-Kathy

Well now it seems they've lost a bit too much. Hmm. I drive myself crazy with this stuff. Lol!

And mine have not lost quite enough, only 9% on my 2 that are at day 21.

The eggs you sent me last year didn't lose very much compared to those numbers... Will send a picture of those numbers later. Think they all lost 12-14%, but have to look.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom