2015 Peafowl Hatching Support Group - Eggs and Chicks!

When I say average, I mean total weight loss at day 13 ranges between 5.4% and 7.9% for 7 eggs. I've read that the goal total weight loss over the 26-28 day incubation is 13%. I used this method to hone in on what humidity works best in my bator for chicken eggs. But pea eggs are new to me. Are you saying 15% is a better goal for total weight loss over the full incubation? Humidity has remained between 45% and 51% for these first 2 weeks, so average weight loss should not be that different first week vs second week. I will weigh again at day 21 tho. Thank you for the suggestions!

actually your targeted wt. losses are supposed to be figured for on a daily basis .
I'm saying 15% is ideal the entire time, on a daily basis, not as an " average " over 2 weeks.
week one could have been way too high wt losses ( chances are ) and week two way too low wt. losses . Also, great swings are not a good thing either.

ideally it's best to weigh them every 1-2 days in the first week and the last week then once a week in between those 2 weeks . ( if some are not losing the ideal ..or close to it.. you may want to weigh those more often and keep a closer eye on those )
For some reason eggs tend to want to lose too much in the first week and last weeks, more so in the first week .
I run my incubator at 60% relative until the last 2-3 days then bump it up to about 65-70% or so, works for our eggs just fine.
Weighing them imho is too timely and a hassle when I know 60% rh is usually good for most peafowl eggs , minus those that may be too porous or, on the other end, too thick shelled.

15% is ideal, 13-17% is acceptable.

Last edited:
So you're saying I just have to develop a little "pea egg intuition" to get these these things to hatch? Ok, at least I know what I'm up against, lol. Will work on that.
1f61c.png

Thanks @Pyxis . Hopefully these will keep moving along same as they have been. How are your chicks doing?
I'm saying to relax. I understand that you're probably get excited, wanting the eggs to hatch really badly, you need to breathe and calm down. I guess though that's easier for someone that's been hatching peafowl eggs for a while to say. Monitor the temp, monitor the humidity. The range that I do for peachicks is an 8% range. I hatched peachicks from 60%-68% humidity. I get my incubator up to that humidity about 4-6 days from the 28th day. I do it early because a lot of times I've gotten chicks on the 26th day. The other reason why I do so is because the chick can adjust to the egg and have some time to get ready for hatching. 99.6 F, 60-68% humidity is my hatching. During incubation I do 99.6 F, 45%-55% humidity. Just keep candling them every week or two. When you get close to hatching you can candle them and the only part you will really see light at is the air sac at the fat end of the egg.

I'm saying to relax. I understand that you're probably get excited, wanting the eggs to hatch really badly, you need to breathe and calm down. I guess though that's easier for someone that's been hatching peafowl eggs for a while to say. Monitor the temp, monitor the humidity. The range that I do for peachicks is an 8% range. I hatched peachicks from 60%-68% humidity. I get my incubator up to that humidity about 4-6 days from the 28th day. I do it early because a lot of times I've gotten chicks on the 26th day. The other reason why I do so is because the chick can adjust to the egg and have some time to get ready for hatching. 99.6 F, 60-68% humidity is my hatching. During incubation I do 99.6 F, 45%-55% humidity. Just keep candling them every week or two. When you get close to hatching you can candle them and the only part you will really see light at is the air sac at the fat end of the egg.

You are right. I am getting inpatient, lol. I am breathing, I am relaxing. Thank you for the suggestions. 55% seems so high for incubation, but yes, not chicken eggs. I'd been keeping the humidity at 50% bc the aircells just seen so big. Might bump it up a degree or two. Will post when or if they hatch.
1f60a.png

actually your targeted wt. losses are supposed to be figured for on  a daily basis . 
I'm saying 15% is ideal the entire time, on a daily basis,  not as an " average " over 2 weeks.
week one could have been way too high wt losses   ( chances are ) and week two way too low wt. losses .  Also, great swings are not a good thing either.

ideally it's best to weigh them every 1-2 days in the first week and the last week  then once a week in between those 2 weeks . ( if some are not losing the ideal ..or close to it.. you may want to weigh  those more often and keep a closer eye on those )   
For some reason eggs tend to want to lose too much in the first week and  last weeks, more so in the first week .  
I run my incubator at 60% relative until the last 2-3 days then bump it up to about 65-70% or so, works for our eggs just fine.  
Weighing them imho is too timely and a hassle  when I know  60% rh  is  usually  good for most  peafowl eggs , minus  those that may be too porous or, on the other end, too thick shelled.  

15% is ideal, 13-17% is acceptable.

Thank you! This is exactly the info I was looking for!

Good! I'm beginning to suspect I maybe have two males though - I was hoping for any combo but that. They're only three weeks old though. I'll have to post updated pictures to get everyone's opinion since I'm not exactly a seasoned peachick sexer, lol.

Two boys might not be so bad. If you find a couple unrelated girls for them, you will be in good shape. Pics please!
1f600.png

Peafowl are very hard to get a good hatch ratio in a machine start to finish, its not just the humidity, there are other factors that only mother nature knows,
1f44d.png

Gerald Barker

Okay, these are not the best pictures, but here are my two peachicks. It might be too early, but any sex guesses? They are currently 3 weeks old.

Chick One:

Chick Two:

Back
Top Bottom