2017 Gosling Hatch a long!!

Pics
Congrats on the naked as lil jay bird bunnies. Would love to see the parents so we can see what they naked ones will look like.  :pop

Thanks Lydia! They are little balls of energy, look like jumping bean when I open the nest box lid lol
Here is the father, Clover the holland lop

And the mother, Cleo, a rex, she has short fur that looks like a lamb only soft like all rabbit fur

The babies should have the mother's short fur and the fathers lop ears. The spotted baby is almost identical to the father.

Thanks Lydia! They are little balls of energy, look like jumping bean when I open the nest box lid lol
Here is the father, Clover the holland lop

And the mother, Cleo, a rex, she has short fur that looks like a lamb only soft like all rabbit fur

The babies should have the mother's short fur and the fathers lop ears. The spotted baby is almost identical to the father.
They are very pretty. I don't think I've seen one like the mom.

I have 3 geese, 2 are female, the younger lays about every 40 hours and the older about every 52, the youngest has laid 11 and the older has 4 now (not sure where she was laying but I'm sure the dog found them grrrr). When do they start sitting on them to hatch? The only time I've noticed them on eggs is when they lay, I have noticed they are sitting longer with each egg but they will not stay with them. Should I buy an incubator? Does anyone know how to tell how old they are?

Geese will start sitting when they feel they have just the right amount of eggs in their clutch. Each goose is different when it comes to that, it might be 3 eggs and it might be 20 eggs, it just depends on the goose. I don't advise letting them have a nest of 20 eggs though. That's taking a big chance at having nothing hatch because they can't sit on all of them and keep them warm. Smaller geese such as Chinese should only be allowed to sit on 8-10 eggs, larger geese like Toulouse or Embden can handle 10-12 eggs, if the eggs are very large it's best to go with the lower numbers.
You, as the goose owner, are the one that needs to be controlling their amount of eggs in the nest. Pick the number you want them to sit on & Take out the older eggs and leave the newer ones. Older eggs are usually the dirtiest eggs. every time they lay another egg, take one old egg out. They will eventually sit. As for an incubator that's totally up to you and the number of goslings you want.

They are very pretty. I don't think I've seen one like the mom.

Thank you. I have seen pics of some but she's the first one i have seen up close. From what I can tell, they are hard to find in my area. I started looking for 2-3 more just like her and only found one place that raises them...2 hours south from where I am. I was surprised that the owner offered to bring some to me because he has family in my town and visits every weekend. I'm supposed meet & buy a few from him this Sunday. If i don't get stood up I will have been very lucky.

Thank you. I have seen pics of some but she's the first one i have seen up close. From what I can tell, they are hard to find in my area. I started looking for 2-3 more just like her and only found one place that raises them...2 hours south from where I am. I was surprised that the owner offered to bring some to me because he has family in my town and visits every weekend. I'm supposed meet & buy a few from him this Sunday. If i don't get stood up I will have been very lucky.
Wow how nice is that. Hope it works out.

Thank you for the info! The girls are in the goose house fighting right now, both are trying to lay in the same spot. I guess I need another house even though this thing will fit 4 easy! I think I will put dates on eggs starting today since I have no clue which were laid first, at least I know the huge eggs belong to Lucy and the smaller ones Laverne. Hopefully I get at least 1 babe from each girl!@8GeeseALaying

Thank you for the info! The girls are in the goose house fighting right now, both are trying to lay in the same spot. I guess I need another house even though this thing will fit 4 easy! I think I will put dates on eggs starting today since I have no clue which were laid first, at least I know the huge eggs belong to Lucy and the smaller ones Laverne. Hopefully I get at least 1 babe from each girl!@8GeeseALaying

Putting dates on them helps. I would definitely separate them since they are fighting over a shared nest, been there myself with that problem. If they don't break the eggs first They will end up sitting and when hatch time comes they will get 1 or 2 goslings completely hatched, fluffed and walking. Then one goose will take off with those and the other will leave the nest too chasing after the goslings that were "stolen". Usually leaving the rest of the eggs pipped, zipping or newly hatched & wet in the nest. Neither will go back because they are too busy with the ones they have outside. Then you lose some or all of the goslings left in the nest if you Happen to not save them in time.

Putting dates on them helps. I would definitely separate them since they are fighting over a shared nest, been there myself with that problem. If they don't break the eggs first They will end up sitting and when hatch time comes they will get 1 or 2 goslings completely hatched, fluffed and walking. Then one goose will take off with those and the other will leave the nest too chasing after the goslings that were "stolen". Usually leaving the rest of the eggs pipped, zipping or newly hatched & wet in the nest. Neither will go back because they are too busy with the ones they have outside. Then you lose some or all of the goslings left in the nest if you Happen to not save them in time.
Oh good grief! I wish I would have read up on geese a little before getting any, I'm going to have a nervous breakdown worrying about them. It is too windy today but my brother picked up a bunch of pallets for me to make a different chicken coop (long sad story) but it looks like the goose house is more important this week. My chicks sleep inside my house and play with the dogs all day. Yes, I'm crazy but they're still small enough to fit inside the tote right now. LOL I am going to be putting up a little A frame (I saw one on here that looked simple) for Lucy, hopefully tomorrow!Thank you again for the info, I would be in so much trouble without you and BYC!
263a.png

Back
Top Bottom