2017 Gosling Hatch a long!!

Pics
Yayayayaya! I'm only 5 days behind you.

I'm still learning about the misting, and also dealing with some temperature issues right now.

The incubator ran solid 99.5 for almost two days, humidity in the 49's...now that I've added my eggs I can't get the temp up past 97/98 (it's creeped up a degree over the last 5 hours)

I'm hoping it's just because my eggs were cool when I set them, my incubation spot stays at 68-69 degrees because our downstairs is partially underground in this house.

I'm currently trying not to panic and force myself to not adjust the temp manually because I don't want it to spike after I go to bed :/

This has been my most nerve wracking hatch to date, but probably because I haven't hatched anything in 2.5 years!

I'm hoping for success. I miss having noisy geese in the yard.

Yayayayaya! I'm only 5 days behind you.

I'm still learning about the misting, and also dealing with some temperature issues right now.

The incubator ran solid 99.5 for almost two days, humidity in the 49's...now that I've added my eggs I can't get the temp up past 97/98 (it's creeped up a degree over the last 5 hours)

I'm hoping it's just because my eggs were cool when I set them, my incubation spot stays at 68-69 degrees because our downstairs is partially underground in this house.

I'm currently trying not to panic and force myself to not adjust the temp manually because I don't want it to spike after I go to bed :/

This has been my most nerve wracking hatch to date, but probably because I haven't hatched anything in 2.5 years!

I'm hoping for success. I miss having noisy geese in the yard.

No don't panic, I know when I put mine in the temperature went haywire and I read on BYC that until the eggs have warned through that the temperature won't stabilise. Give it a little longer before you start twiddling with temperatures.
I'm really struggled with choosing a humidity so I've gone for 45% and weighed my eggs before hand to see what their weight loss is in the first week. Apparently they should lose 15% weight loss to hatch properly.
Are you hand turning? How often?

A couple of tips for new hatchers. The rule of thumb for humidity is the fresher the egg, the lower the humidity will need to be. My eggs are very fresh, so I dry incubate (usually 19%) and achieve good weight loss. I may raise humidity to the 30-35% range if eggs were shipped. For temperature, 99.5 degrees is for bators with fans and 101.5 for ones without fans. Also, measure from upper-middle of egg. Do not rely on gauges that are at top of bator.

A couple of tips for new hatchers. The rule of thumb for humidity is the fresher the egg, the lower the humidity will need to be. My eggs are very fresh, so I dry incubate (usually 19%) and achieve good weight loss. I may raise humidity to the 30-35% range if eggs were shipped. For temperature, 99.5 degrees is for bators with fans and 101.5 for ones without fans. Also, measure from upper-middle of egg. Do not rely on gauges that are at top of bator.
Thanks for this. My eggs were collected over a period of about 10 days so am I right to be at 45% do you think? I did a sneaky candling-peak at 5 days in and can only see development in 4 out of the 7. Would they all show the same development at the same time or would the ones laid later develop later?
It's all a bit nerve wracking but I appreciate any advice you have!

I am hand turning
I'm going to have to set an alarm to remind myself.

My eggs are a bit older, about a week now so I'll have to work on humidity to keep it stable.

We were lucky enough to live in humid NC and I could dry run my incubators because even with a dehumidifier under the house or humidity was high anyway

ive never worried about a hatch before

Usually I'll just flip them when I go into the room, this time we are timing because I spent a lot of money on these 6 eggs.

Yes I'm hand turning 180° three times a day, at 0700, 1400 and 2200 or thereabouts. I also have my automatic turner on but that's really for chicken eggs I suppose. I just worried about not turning them enough!
I'm in the south of the UK and the weather here is so unpredictable its driving me nuts. We have frosts at night followed by humid heat then thunderstorms. I'm told thunder is bad for incubated eggs so now I'm worrying about that too! I'll be a nervous wreck by the end of this!:lol:
What breed are you hatching? Mine are Embdens from a farmer friend of mine.

These eggs are sebastopols. They are my favorite.

We had quite a thunderstorm last night as well! I was kicking myself and thinking it was just my luck to set eggs in time for a severe storm. We live in a bit of a mountainy area and often lose power in the summer due to storms.

Thankfully it wasn't bad and passed quickly!

We are in the US, on the east coast close to Washington DC right now. We are finally through with winter weather here. It's been in the 90's the past few days here and I'm glad my eggs arrived before this temperature spike or I'd be worried about them cooking on the Mail truck before they got here

These eggs are sebastopols. They are my favorite.

We had quite a thunderstorm last night as well! I was kicking myself and thinking it was just my luck to set eggs in time for a severe storm. We live in a bit of a mountainy area and often lose power in the summer due to storms.

Thankfully it wasn't bad and passed quickly!

We are in the US, on the east coast close to Washington DC right now. We are finally through with winter weather here. It's been in the 90's the past few days here and I'm glad my eggs arrived before this temperature spike or I'd be worried about them cooking on the Mail truck before they got here
Oh yes those are the ones with the beautiful feathers aren't they? I'm new to geese, I've only had Chickens before so I'm learning loads at the moment!
I can see why you'd worry about the eggs in transit in hot weather yes. Ive never had to get shipped eggs in but I'm told its fraught with failure sometimes.
We've another thunderous night tonight judging from the sky...fingers crossed for both our hatches! I'm candling officially tomorrow as it's day 7...eek!:fl

I'm so impatient to candle already.
I've never done shipped goose eggs before but I've bought chicken eggs on eBay plenty of times (I just try to make sure the seller is close, within a few states of me) I also try to be mindful of the weather when shipping...and our old post lady would actually take my eggs and put them through the doogie door at the back of the house and into the air conditioning so they didn't set out in the hot sun all day. She was amazing!

But I've had plenty of success with shipped eggs....but I know plenty of people who have had trouble.

Our area has plenty of hatching eggs but not the breeds I was necessarily looking for (we do English orpingtons with their giant feathery butt!)

My oldest daughter will hatch indiscriminately though. She used to hatch all kinds and raise them up for the local chicken auctions and swaps for a little money.

She was also notorious for buying things at auction when I wasn't looking (she once bought 21 ducklings ) I told her she had to be 100% responsible for them and it only took a week before she was overrun and asking to take some back to the next sale. Ha ha ha

Back
Top Bottom