2018 Babies!

I'm getting Buff Orp, Barred Rock, Leghorn, Welsummer, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Easter Egger, and Sapphire Gem! I'm super egg-cited!:p I'm getting them from Hoover's Hatchery. Anyone had any luck at this hatchery?
I've never gone through Hoover's either. I think my local RK gets theirs from them though. They have Sapphire Gems right now and I was literally SECONDS from picking some up. But then that stinking voice in the back of my head is telling me, "NO! You just ordered over 50 birds!!" :oops: I had never seen them before though and am interested in how they go for you!

I have an order of 16 babies arriving 2/15. I have only ever had a couple birds at one time because we were keeping them in our backyard and city ordinances did not allow this; so we had 3 and they were hidden for the most part.
We have since moved out of town onto 3 acres. I ordered 3 Barred Rocks, 3 Buff Orps, 3 Easter Eggers, 3 Welsummers. And I am trying my hand in ducks and also ordered 2 Indian Runners and 2 Blue Swedish.
This is also my first mail delivery and I’m nervous as to their condition on arrival. Any tips?? I ordered through Cackle Hatchery
As already mentioned, electrolytes to give them a boost would be great. Warm up your brooder before they are scheduled to arrive. I usually plug in the light the night before. Also, you may want to dip their beaks in the water before you release them to the brooder. Cackle is great. I've had really good luck with them the past few years. Good luck!
So this may be the wrong forum for this but I’m new here and im having trouble finding what I need. I’m looking for some info on sexing my 4 “chicks”, they hatched dec.6 2017 and I have a feeling that one is a rooster, there are 2 silkies, 1 English mottled Orpington, 1 blue Orpington. I can take pics and post if that would be easiest.
Welcome! I'd say pretty good bet on a cockerel for your mottled. He's looks like he's going to be a beautiful bird. Silkies are tougher and you'll probably have to wait a little while longer to be sure. Both of yours are bearded, so wattles will be more difficult to see. One difference to note is males usually develop "streamers" on the backs of their crests. Little random feathers that kind of stick out. The crests of the females are more feminine and round, almost like a little cotton ball.

I've never gone through Hoover's either. I think my local RK gets theirs from them though. They have Sapphire Gems right now and I was literally SECONDS from picking some up. But then that stinking voice in the back of my head is telling me, "NO! You just ordered over 50 birds!!" :oops: I had never seen them before though and am interested in how they go for you!
It's pretty odd, because I cannot find Sapphire Gems anywhere else... I'm so nervous, this is my first time with all of those breeds! I've only ever had ISA Brown.

Back
Top Bottom