2018 Babies!

Good to know! I'll definitely take that into consideration.

Have you had any experiences with the regular EE's?

I have a standard size EE, Mitzi--she's fantastic! Not my most cuddly chicken, for sure, but she lays like a trooper and her blue eggs are big and almost round. She stopped for about a month during the shortest days, but started back up again last week and has laid five eggs thus far.

My 2018 Chick are arriving :) I am ecstatic.. I ordered me some c.marans the other day, decided to chance it with some surprise chicks :) Well a surprise they are... Nothing I have ever had before.. The adventures begin :) Here are a few pics <3 View attachment 1245978C.marans 5 belong to me 5 to my sister :)

The Surprise ones
View attachment 1245979 View attachment 1245980 View attachment 1245981

So cute! Your surprise chicks are absolutely adorable; do you have any idea which breeds they are? And great job taking pictures-- somehow, you caught them sitting still :) How many other chickens do you have?

My 2018 Chick are arriving :) I am ecstatic.. I ordered me some c.marans the other day, decided to chance it with some surprise chicks :) Well a surprise they are... Nothing I have ever had before.. The adventures begin :) Here are a few pics <3 View attachment 1245978C.marans 5 belong to me 5 to my sister :)

The Surprise ones
View attachment 1245979 View attachment 1245980 View attachment 1245981
No fair!:lol: I just placed my order and mine will be in around mid-March. I can't wait! :D:wee

So cute! Your surprise chicks are absolutely adorable; do you have any idea which breeds they are? And great job taking pictures-- somehow, you caught them sitting still :) How many other chickens do you have?

Thanks so much! I am a bit of a photographer lol I have patience like no other.. They do not always sit still for me.. I do not know yet of what breed they are... I am still guessing. Have a couple of ideas but we will see..

Breeds I have:
Easter Eggers
Plymouth Barred Rocks
C. Marans

My 4 older hens we are still guessing on breed as well. They were given to be by a friend.. Buff Orp maybe and a Welchsummer?

It is always an adventure :)

We hatch most of our own birds, but we do order some chicks. We like to raise production pens for the fair, so we order pullets for that and we sell started pullets off the farm too. I just got an order today for 100 pullets (50 black sex links and 50 assorted heavies) All arrived in great shape. I also have 20 turken pullets & 15 S.R. turkens coming next week. So should be set till we start hatching our own next month. Love chick season!!!
DSCF5364.JPG

If I can get my hubby to help me build a second coop, I would love to add a few more ducks & maybe a pair of geese! :wee
That is, of course in addition to the 4 or 5... or 6... or 12 chicks that I pick up from the local store!

Newbie here. Starting with an easy breed, Red Rocks for eggs and meat this season. And maybe a turkey for Thanksgiving. Is that wrong? (hahaha) Would really like some Easter layers. But going small this first season.

I was given an incubator for Christmas, and set a batch of eggs from my mixed bantam flock on Jan. 1. These were the results:

1.1.18.JPG

12.28.17.JPG

12.29.17.JPG

12.26.17.JPG

12.31.17.JPG

I'm now having a lot of fun trying to figure out parentage. These are all results of a mixed flock of silkies, cochins, silchins, japanese bantams, and D'Uccles. I basically specialize in friendly bantams. :)

Other than that, I'm thinking of other ways to use my incubator this year- possibly doing some intentional breeding with my birds for pure D'Uccles or Japanese. Of course, I also heard an exciting rumor that the feed store is getting barnvelders in on Friday, so.... :D

Back
Top Bottom