2018 Babies!

Oh I plan on getting lots of babies this year~ I'll be adding some new heritage layers to my flock.. I'll be adding some Andalusians, Light brown Leghorns, Buckeyes, Partridge Plymouth Rocks, Blue laced Red Wyandottes, Delawares, And Speckled Sussex chicks for my laying flock(10 each). For ducks i'll hopefully be adding a breeding flock of Welsh Harlequins and maybe a few more Khaki campbells.. Defiantly more call ducks~ And if I have the space and money i'll be hopefully buying 16 Standard Bronze poults as a breeding group for meat purposes.. Bought an incubator that holds 112 eggs to i'll be incubating for sure this spring as well.. Pretty exciting year for me.

I have an order of 16 babies arriving 2/15. I have only ever had a couple birds at one time because we were keeping them in our backyard and city ordinances did not allow this; so we had 3 and they were hidden for the most part.
We have since moved out of town onto 3 acres. I ordered 3 Barred Rocks, 3 Buff Orps, 3 Easter Eggers, 3 Welsummers. And I am trying my hand in ducks and also ordered 2 Indian Runners and 2 Blue Swedish.
This is also my first mail delivery and I’m nervous as to their condition on arrival. Any tips?? I ordered through Cackle Hatchery

i have never bought baby chickens, only hatched. very lucky to have so much land, your chickens will love all that space to wonder around in. hope they will arrive safe, make sure that they have a nice warm house to move into when you get them, also watch out for putty bums, they can get that from the stress and getting chilly while they are being sent to you. if they get mucky bottoms make sure you keep them clean as they can stop them from pooping. also i would give them some electrolyte to drink. don't forget some photos please.

Thanks! I’m in the works of getting the brooder set up and ready to go and will have them nice and warm on the arrival date. I’ll get some electrolyte and check their booties when they arrive.
Will probably call my post office and the hatchery to time the date just right. Will make sure to post lots of pics!

So this may be the wrong forum for this but I’m new here and im having trouble finding what I need. I’m looking for some info on sexing my 4 “chicks”, they hatched dec.6 2017 and I have a feeling that one is a rooster, there are 2 silkies, 1 English mottled Orpington, 1 blue Orpington. I can take pics and post if that would be easiest.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    582.8 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    761 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    680 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    595 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    605 KB · Views: 8
So this may be the wrong forum for this but I’m new here and im having trouble finding what I need. I’m looking for some info on sexing my 4 “chicks”, they hatched dec.6 2017 and I have a feeling that one is a rooster, there are 2 silkies, 1 English mottled Orpington, 1 blue Orpington. I can take pics and post if that would be easiest.
Hi there! My preliminary thoughts are that the English mottled is a roo, and I have a sneaking suspicion that the blue orp might be too (although the comb is still pretty pale, so don't hold me to that :)) No idea on the silkies. You'll probably have more luck creating a thread in the 'what breed/gender is this forum' with some heading along the lines of 'help me sex my 8 wk old chicks' to get more (+more accurate) responses. Best of luck!
(and they're all adorable)

I'm getting Buff Orp, Barred Rock, Leghorn, Welsummer, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Easter Egger, and Sapphire Gem! I'm super egg-cited!:p I'm getting them from Hoover's Hatchery. Anyone had any luck at this hatchery?
How cool! I almost ordered from them this year, but I found a hatchery a little closer to home. I'm still keeping them in mind for future years, though, so I'd like to hear about your experiences with them (which is about the opposite of what you asked for- whoops)
Also, I'm really interested in Sapphire Gems-- when do you get them? I'd love to see pictures/ hear about your experience. And how exciting! Have fun with your new peeps :)

How cool! I almost ordered from them this year, but I found a hatchery a little closer to home. I'm still keeping them in mind for future years, though, so I'd like to hear about your experiences with them (which is about the opposite of what you asked for- whoops)
Also, I'm really interested in Sapphire Gems-- when do you get them? I'd love to see pictures/ hear about your experience. And how exciting! Have fun with your new peeps :)
I don't really know anything about Sapphire Gems!:D I'll totally be posting pics when I get them! I think they are similar to the Old Andalusians... I'm getting them this March! Maybe a little earlier...:clap

Back
Top Bottom