2018 Nankin Bantams Discussion

Been awhile since i have posted, i have a pair of nankins(rehomed the others), plus this boy- he doesn't fit the profile and was a hatchery nankin, of the 3 roos i got in that order, he is the nicest, the others are bitey and shy. So i am wondering, with him, what was the original nankin color? Is he a throwback, or just someone snuck in an oegb maybe? Yes he is wearing a diaper lol
View attachment 2076287 View attachment 2076291
Hey, Are we still alive, here? I've still got my Nannies - rose combs, in Maryland, but it seems like a few others have dropped away. I hope it's just because Life gets busy and not because they're no longer chicken-tenders!
The fellow in your picture is pretty, but not quite there. He's an Ideal baby, right? I suspect that their "Nankins: are actually an OEGB cross breed-recovery project. It'll take a lot of culling and selective breeding to get them to where they need to be, but it's do-able. My own line is a work-in-progress, too, but that's half the fun!
The "throwback" coloring is that of the wild jungle fowl. I occasionally see a paler variation, but it's not the colorful patches of an OEGB, it's more like a paler dilution of the regular Nankin coloring - kinda like the dilute gene that turns a chestnut/sorrel horse into a palomino.

Hello, Nankin bantam people. I'm searching for a source for these little guys...my preference is rose comb, but I would be glad to have any. I had a small flock years ago and am down one pair of rosecombs; she is quite a few years old and not laying often. Please let me know if you have hatching eggs, chicks, or would sell started birds. I love this breed and they are so endangered...I'd like to help with that as well as enjoy them for myself!

Hello, Nankin bantam people. I'm searching for a source for these little guys...my preference is rose comb, but I would be glad to have any. I had a small flock years ago and am down one pair of rosecombs; she is quite a few years old and not laying often. Please let me know if you have hatching eggs, chicks, or would sell started birds. I love this breed and they are so endangered...I'd like to help with that as well as enjoy them for myself!
Welcome to BYC! It's a great place! I have rose comb Nankins and I LOVEthem! At the moment, the flock is pretty small and the only birds available are a pair of nice looking young roosters, but who knows what Spring will bring? Where are you located? I'm in Maryland.

Thank you! I've been lurking for many years :) and BYC is great. I adore my Nankins and am really wanting to get some more going. I'm in central Texas.
That's awesome ... but a shame about being so far away. My brother just sold his house in Shreveport (LA), so I could have gotten them most of the way to you ... a month ago! Figures, right?

MROO...I've been searching through all the Nankin and other bantam threads looking for info on incubating Nankin eggs, and noticed you use the Harris Nurture Right. Do you use the regular size turner tray or did you modify it for smaller eggs? I saw that some who hatch quail eggs were modifying the compartments to make them smaller so the eggs wouldn't get rolled around as much, and also that someone is selling 3D printed turner trays for this incubator with smaller compartments for quail eggs. I'm not sure what size coturnix quail eggs are and how they compare with Nankin eggs!

Hi! I responded to you via your FB message, but Welcome! It's nice to see some activity on this Nankin thread!

Lisa

Thank you, Lisa...I appreciated your response (both places!) I've been disappointed at how little activity there is about Nankins and that so many of the people who used to raise them appear to be gone (it happens...people get older, and get into other hobbies as well.) I wish I hadn't let my little flock gradually die off without doing anything with them, considering how few of them there are.

Hello, I have been away for a while, but back in the Nankin games again here in Roseburg, Oregon. Building my flock of six up with new blood this year, hoping to have eggs to sale next year. Just hatched three straight comb hens of mine, how lucky is that! Seven more from Florida hatching next week. Nankin happy dance.

Attachments

• hredirect2 (1).jpg
    hredirect2 (1).jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 6
  • hredirect2 (2).jpg
    hredirect2 (2).jpg
    1,015.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210317_054517.jpg
    20210317_054517.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom