2018 Nankin Bantams Discussion

MROO...I've been searching through all the Nankin and other bantam threads looking for info on incubating Nankin eggs, and noticed you use the Harris Nurture Right. Do you use the regular size turner tray or did you modify it for smaller eggs? I saw that some who hatch quail eggs were modifying the compartments to make them smaller so the eggs wouldn't get rolled around as much, and also that someone is selling 3D printed turner trays for this incubator with smaller compartments for quail eggs. I'm not sure what size coturnix quail eggs are and how they compare with Nankin eggs!
I have always used the standard tray to hatch Nankins, remember in nature the eggs get moved in many differ ways by the hens. Carol

Hello, I have been away for a while, but back in the Nankin games again here in Roseburg, Oregon. Building my flock of six up with new blood this year, hoping to have eggs to sale next year. Just hatched three straight comb hens of mine, how lucky is that! Seven more from Florida hatching next week. Nankin happy dance.
That's great, Carol. You were one of the names I had stored away from a few years ago...glad to see you're getting back into it.

MROO...I've been searching through all the Nankin and other bantam threads looking for info on incubating Nankin eggs, and noticed you use the Harris Nurture Right. Do you use the regular size turner tray or did you modify it for smaller eggs? I saw that some who hatch quail eggs were modifying the compartments to make them smaller so the eggs wouldn't get rolled around as much, and also that someone is selling 3D printed turner trays for this incubator with smaller compartments for quail eggs. I'm not sure what size coturnix quail eggs are and how they compare with Nankin eggs!
I use the standard tray. You could modify it, I'm sure, but you wouldn't want to use a tray designed for quail - their eggs are even smaller than a Nankin's.

My eggs are in the incubator. Lockdown on April 14th, expected hatch on the 17th.

excited city of bones GIF

Update: 6 of my eggs came to full term, one hatched then pass two days later, a couple more peeped and the died, the rest died without peeping with developed chicks inside. 😭

Back
Top Bottom