2019 Emu Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Hey all. I'm picking up some eggs today so I can join the fun. Emu was discussed as a down the road plan, and then I found a great price for some hatching eggs, so we are giving this a whirl. I am fondly referring to this experiement as emu-ocalypse. Question for anyone using a modified LG - how many eggs are you typically fitting in there?

@FEAREDALPHA was using a styrofoam incubator for their eggs, it may have been an LG. Actually they had one due to hatch pretty soon last they posted. Fearedalpha, we need an update! Did you get a chick hatched out?

Eggs got, weighed and set. We had planned to swing by TSC on our way back from picking up the eggs to pick up a Styrofoam incubator to modify but the person who sold me the eggs also sold me their Reptipro6000 (silver color, not the black one). Since I had been debating getting one anyway, I bought it. I have a couple eggs in my Janoel 12 (with no trays in) - I've had pretty good hatch rates using that for my seramas - so I set it to emu ranges and we shall see what happens. While I reasonably trust my janoel, anyone have recommendations on thermometers and hygrometers to shove in both to just triple check everything?

Eggs got, weighed and set. We had planned to swing by TSC on our way back from picking up the eggs to pick up a Styrofoam incubator to modify but the person who sold me the eggs also sold me their Reptipro6000 (silver color, not the black one). Since I had been debating getting one anyway, I bought it. I have a couple eggs in my Janoel 12 (with no trays in) - I've had pretty good hatch rates using that for my seramas - so I set it to emu ranges and we shall see what happens. While I reasonably trust my janoel, anyone have recommendations on thermometers and hygrometers to shove in both to just triple check everything?

For thermometers you can't go wrong with buying an oral thermometer from a drug store, or I use an aquarium thermometer and also a digital reptile thermometer.

For hygrometers, I really like the AcuRite hygrometer I have. It also shows the temperature, but I don't use it for that.

For thermometers you can't go wrong with buying an oral thermometer from a drug store, or I use an aquarium thermometer and also a digital reptile thermometer.

For hygrometers, I really like the AcuRite hygrometer I have. It also shows the temperature, but I don't use it for that.
Does the AcuRite fit in the Harris Farms 360? Does it stand up when they start to hatch and bumble about?

Does the AcuRite fit in the Harris Farms 360? Does it stand up when they start to hatch and bumble about?

I don't use a hygrometer in the Nurture Right, its built in hygrometer is accurate, at least for mine :) I also don't worry about it at all when they're hatching because you don't need to add water or increase humidity or anything.

I don't use a hygrometer in the Nurture Right, its built in hygrometer is accurate, at least for mine :) I also don't worry about it at all when they're hatching because you don't need to add water or increase humidity or anything.
Well both of mine were doing great last year but second hatch this year the readout went flooey. It said it was 80% in there but no way it was that high. LOL (The clear plastic wasn't fogged). The temp was way off also and I put 2 thermometers in and adjusted the settings until it was right at 99.5-100

Well both of mine were doing great last year but second hatch this year the readout went flooey. It said it was 80% in there but no way it was that high. LOL (The clear plastic wasn't fogged). The temp was way off also and I put 2 thermometers in and adjusted the settings until it was right at 99.5-100

Ah, that sucks :( Mine is still reading correctly, but now I'm gonna be worried it's gonna go kaput, lol.

Ah, that sucks :( Mine is still reading correctly, but now I'm gonna be worried it's gonna go kaput, lol.
Yea it really surprised me. Worked great on the first hatch, I cleaned it and got it all ready for the next one. Set it up and first the readout was in greek LOL (The characters made no sense) then it was reading way off. I have a digital thermometer that I got from Incubator warehouse a long time ago that's never been right on temp but at least the hygrometer works. LOL

Back
Top Bottom