2019 Emu Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Wow I’ve missed quite a bit!! Twins, surprise whites, etc! I’m up to 10 chicks out of my batches with 6 more due any day. Had a lot of late deaths this time, many who made it full term to never pip.
I’m starting to wonder if my Dickey isn’t regulating temp evenly, I should’ve added a second thermometer at the bottom level. I think the temps being low for the eggs in that final tray has something to do with their late deaths. Could be wrong but it was quite clear how they hatched earlier as the level went up to the top. Anywhere from day 48-58 coinciding with which tray they were on. Little disappointed there.
On a positive note we’ll be adding a white & blonde pair this year, they’re such gorgeous birds!

I'm not 100%, and it is a little bit early (Day 27) but I'm pretty sure at 3 of my eggs have somewhere between a small and quite obvious "tilt" whether or not this remains to be the case we shall see, no wiggling yet, but once more it's pretty early for that.

Hello everyone, So I decided to try incubating again this year... Last year I had 3 eggs, 2 of them hatched perfectly, sent shells for dna testing, and that was 2 girls. Sadly they both died after 15 days! They were eating and drinking well, running like crazy until that morning when I found one of my emu laying on the ground with his neck extended, dead, In the afternoon, same thing with my other baby... Did they drank to much water, eat wood shavings, I fed them with salad and ratite crumble, I might have move them to the barn to quickly, I'm suspecting the ratite food, since emus are not popular in Quebec, I had a hard time finding food for them, my supplier find me a 40kg bag, but I suspect it was kind of old, do crumble have a expiration date? I just don't know. I was devasteted and swear I will never incubate emu again.... but here I am again, couldn't resist. So I now have 3 eggs in the bator since april 12th, hand turning them 5 times a day, even talking to them... am I going crazy?.... I weighted them after a week and they're right on track, I Will keep you inform of the progress. Good hatch to everyone!

Attachments

• 20190411_165800.jpg
    20190411_165800.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 12
Hello everyone, So I decided to try incubating again this year... Last year I had 3 eggs, 2 of them hatched perfectly, sent shells for dna testing, and that was 2 girls. Sadly they both died after 15 days! They were eating and drinking well, running like crazy until that morning when I found one of my emu laying on the ground with his neck extended, dead, In the afternoon, same thing with my other baby... Did they drank to much water, eat wood shavings, I fed them with salad and ratite crumble, I might have move them to the barn to quickly, I'm suspecting the ratite food, since emus are not popular in Quebec, I had a hard time finding food for them, my supplier find me a 40kg bag, but I suspect it was kind of old, do crumble have a expiration date? I just don't know. I was devasteted and swear I will never incubate emu again.... but here I am again, couldn't resist. So I now have 3 eggs in the bator since april 12th, hand turning them 5 times a day, even talking to them... am I going crazy?.... I weighted them after a week and they're right on track, I Will keep you inform of the progress. Good hatch to everyone!

I’m sorry for your loss! It sounds like they ate pine shavings, were they mostly on them & food could've mixed in? Pine shavings can also cause splay leg easily so use caution with it. I put mine on carpet.
I have found that TSC’s chick starter is almost identical to ratite starter, protein is 1% different & fat 0.5% off. Good luck on the eggs in there now!

after my first six emu eggs proved infertile, i've been really hesitant to get any hopes up for the other 10. still with only a few days left it's hard not to get a little excited. still no wiggles, but nothing smells. keeping fingers crossed.

well.......emu hatch over. shortly after my last post, went to do last turn. incubator unplugged, at the dc converter. did a turn 430 0r so before going to Easter dinner must have happened then. eggs ice cold (81 degrees) both ends the same temp. plugged in the incubator added new warm water bottles, i sure everything is dead but.....

Back
Top Bottom