2019 Emu Hatch-A-Long

Pics
So I've tried going to bed a few times now but this happened today. I was at my desk, where the incubator is located, so it could be that, though people tell me that it would have caused either camera or other egg movement, so we shall see for sure soon enough. Possible movement caught live tonight!

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/418155632

Looks like a wiggle from a live baby to me!

Day 47 and egg N2 is externally piped!!
C290C149-E375-477B-90CF-D7A9958646B9.jpeg

final report: of 16 eggs i incubated this year . no matter how lovingly you turn them, how carefully you check their weight, how prefect your temperature and humidity are, infertile eggs will not turn into chicks. i drilled drained and examined all of the horrible smelling contents of all my eggs and found no evidence that they were fertile. it was a not a pleasant task. i'm guessing that my male wasn't sexually mature enough. so if in the future you have a pair on their first batch, consider this a possibility. in the future i guess i have to install some day/night security cameras so as to confirm mating is taking place. something with a recording that can be fast forwarded. also plan on investing in some ir lights as them seem to be a possible answer to candling emu eggs. i know it seems awful, but without candling, in the future i think i will incubate one egg for a week then crack it open it check for fertility.

Last edited:
final report: of 16 eggs i incubated this year . no matter how lovingly you turn them, how carefully you check their weight, how prefect your temperature and humidity are infertile eggs will not turn into chicks. i drilled drained and examined all of the horrible smelling contents of all my eggs and found no evidence that they were fertile. it was a not a pleasant task. i'm guessing that my male wasn't sexualy mature enough

Sorry for the disappointing results :(

Damn sorry to hear that Matt, there's always next season I suppose! I'm questioning the validity of my wobble as there's no movement whatsoever in the last 24 hours since then. Day 37 without "definite" movement (could be down to desk wobble where it moved before) is getting me all antsy

There is something wrong with mine that is hatching. It is covered in green goo. When the air hits it, it dries fast. I have not seen this before and don’t know what’s going on. The chick piped early this morning with no more progress and still has vessels that bleed so isn’t ready. Seems to be breathing heavy too so not sure if it’ll make it or not. Just have no idea what this green goo is unless it’s amniotic fluid that has thickened for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom