2020 Flock And General Chit Chat

Hi! This looks like a good place to come back to. I've been gone from BYC a few months due to a double knee replacement.
I have a small city flock of 3 EE bantams and 1 cochin bantam. My cochin, Diamond, is my trouble maker. She's hopelessly broody a good part of the time and now she decided to molt in December, lol. Otherwise she's a sweetheart. The other 3 are Jade, Pearl, and Opal. They were a year old in August.

My birds are grumpy from being housebound for the last three days of heavy snow and drifts.
I’m so glad though that I moved them into their new home this winter with a separate “bedroom “ space and a huge open play area. It’s far better than their old small coop, even though it was warmer and better insulated, they didn’t have enough free space and I know that three days closed up it would be smelly with damp walls. That’s my chit chat :)

All I can think of is double knee replacement. How bad is that ? Long recovery? Lots of pain? I am a confirmed coward.
It was hard, but now I don't have to go through another knee replacement. Plus you can't cheat on rehab. There literally isn't a good leg to stand on, lol. So every step you take contributes to recovery. I did have a good talk with my surgeon about pain relief prior to having it done. And I'd say my pain relief was for the most part adequate. You can't expect zero pain, but it was usually tolerable and mainly when a pain med was wearing off. That said, I wouldn't want to go through the first week again. Partly because it was so hard to do anything, knees won't bend easily, all your thigh muscle strength is gone. And partly from pain. One thing I was not prepared for was that when I needed my first refill of pain meds, my insurance company required a prior authorization! It was a Friday afternoon at 4 pm when I was told by the pharmacy. No PA can possibly be done in an hour and I would have no more left before Monday. I said to the pharmacist, "But I just had a double knee replacement 5 days ago!!" The pharmacist, bless his heart, told me I could pay for them myself if I wanted to. Fortunately they only cost $30. So that's what I did. Check your insurance requirements for opiate pain meds before you have any surgery these days!!
I'm still working on increasing my range of motion and there's still a lot of stiffness in them at 4 months post op. But I walk a mile and a half or ride a stationary bike every day, go shopping as needed and most normal activities.

Now that I have more than a minute.. I'll do an intro. :gig
My name is Monica, I'm mom to three boys, one husband, two dogs, two cats, and currently 18 chickens. :lau:gig:lau:gig

My Flock is mixed of RIR, Australorps, BR mix, SS, OE, CQ, GC, and a bunch of brahmas. I've got three very cute Brahma mix babies, and hope to have a second Flock of them come Springish for egg orders.
All our chickens have names, mainly after food items. :rolleyes: :gig

Here's some pictures from this morning
IMG_20200103_081435352.jpg
Babies: Swirl, Paninni, and Frosting
IMG_20200103_081401992.jpg
Layer Flock with our big boy Mr. Toasted.
IMG_20200103_081102978.jpg
Escape Squad : Sundae, Dijon, Chase, GT(general tso), Eagle, and (in very back) Cajun. they find new ways to escape every morning before I go out. :he

:love:love:love

Can't wait to see over flocks and such!

Happy 2020! It’s unfortunate that insurance companies get to dictate what medical procedures and medications that we need. Wouldn’t it be great if this was the year that you or your doctor make the medical decisions.
I had Mareks kill a couple of my Onagadori pullets a couple weeks ago. For 2020 I’m going to try to keep the rest of my flock alive and hopefully get some beautiful babies out of the few Onagadori I have left.
I’m also going to get around to culling the extra Roos with bad behavior (I’m looking at you Polish and silkie boys).

Happy 2020! It’s unfortunate that insurance companies get to dictate what medical procedures and medications that we need. Wouldn’t it be great if this was the year that you or your doctor make the medical decisions.
I had Mareks kill a couple of my Onagadori pullets a couple weeks ago. For 2020 I’m going to try to keep the rest of my flock alive and hopefully get some beautiful babies out of the few Onagadori I have left.
I’m also going to get around to culling the extra Roos with bad behavior (I’m looking at you Polish and silkie boys).
It is sad how much control the insurance company has now a days!

I'm so sorry for your loss! Hope you can get a few babies! I'd love to see pics of them!

Back
Top Bottom