2020 Flock Life

Which came first: the chicken or the egg?

• Chicken

Votes: 90 54.2%
  • Egg

Votes: 55 33.1%
  • Neither

Votes: 21 12.7%

• Total voters
Here is a video about my bantam cochins learning to drink from a nipple drinker

I ordered 2 dozen button quail eggs from Breezy Bird farms in Manitoba, Canada....kind of crazy thing to do considering the cold weather so I hope I get at least some to hatch. Using my 17 year old incubator again.

Last edited:
Here is a video about my bantam cochins learning to drink from a nipple drinker

I ordered 2 dozen button quail eggs from Breezy Bird farms in Manitoba, Canada....kind of crazy thing to do considering the cold weather so I hope I get at least some to hatch. Using my 17 year old incubator again.
Good luck with the quail...I hope you get a good hatch! :)

Thank you! I hope to get 2 males for my hens and a few more pairs. DH wants me to wait until my son is 18 til we get acreage. DS is 2. :thHe says it will be too hard to take care of 2 acres with a kid. I tell him I see people posting pics of their babies on farms on BYC. He says the parents grew up on farms so farming comes natural to them. That's what books and Youtube is for but whatever.

So I am going to breed button quail since I can't breed chickens. I also breed guppies but they are harder to maintain records of unless I get more tanks. I got a divider but the juvenile females find their way across it to the males.

Thank you! I hope to get 2 males for my hens and a few more pairs. DH wants me to wait until my son is 18 til we get acreage. DS is 2. :thHe says it will be too hard to take care of 2 acres with a kid. I tell him I see people posting pics of their babies on farms on BYC. He says the parents grew up on farms so farming comes natural to them. That's what books and Youtube is for but whatever.

So I am going to breed button quail since I can't breed chickens. I also breed guppies but they are harder to maintain records of unless I get more tanks. I got a divider but the juvenile females find their way across it to the males.
We bought 5 acres when our youngest son was born! It's taken a lot of work to get where we are today...which is 30 years later, but so doable & totally worth it! We didn't grow up on a farm...you just start out small with animals and work your way up! I feel having land and being as self sustaining as possible is very important! I hope he will change his mind, but he has to want it also! I love guppies, keeping them separate would be hard without another tank!

I want to partecipate!
Here is my 8,5yy old Isa Brown Marina watching to our olives that where waiting to go to the oil mill! :D

"oh wow, a supermarket!"
B612_20201104_235819_911.jpg

B612_20201104_170142_566.jpg

We bought 5 acres when our youngest son was born! It's taken a lot of work to get where we are today...which is 30 years later, but so doable & totally worth it! We didn't grow up on a farm...you just start out small with animals and work your way up! I feel having land and being as self sustaining as possible is very important! I hope he will change his mind, but he has to want it also! I love guppies, keeping them separate would be hard without another tank!
Lol I just told DH what you said and he said that one or both of you must have more practical skills than we do yet my job title is actually practical nurse. :rolleyes: He said he wants to see me do more for our current house and asked me to rake the leaves the other day when it was already getting dark. Then it snowed the next morning. I'm working on it...:lol: Then he said some stuff about how acreages are more expensive than suburban houses. At least the ones closer to the cities are. We did go to see one the other day that I really wanted and was 8 minutes from here. But it didn't have a paved road/driveway like he wants. Bleh!!

Just tracked my button quail eggs and they arrived in my city! I just called Canada Post and they said I can't pick it up because they don't know which post office it is at. I thought about sending it straight to my post office but was afraid it would arrive on a morning I work as I work 3 evenings and 2 mornings. The eggs should be here today or tomorrow, hopefully. Otherwise they sit at the post office which will decrease hatchability until Monday.

25 button quail eggs arrived! I'm very impressed with the seller. They shipped the eggs the morning after I ordered, using Canada Post expedited. Delivery usually would take 6 business days but arrived from Manitoba to Quebec in 4. Going to let the eggs settle until tomorrow morning
thumbnail_IMG_2497.jpg
then they are going in the incubator which I already cleaned.

Lol I just told DH what you said and he said that one or both of you must have more practical skills than we do yet my job title is actually practical nurse. :rolleyes: He said he wants to see me do more for our current house and asked me to rake the leaves the other day when it was already getting dark. Then it snowed the next morning. I'm working on it...:lol: Then he said some stuff about how acreages are more expensive than suburban houses. At least the ones closer to the cities are. We did go to see one the other day that I really wanted and was 8 minutes from here. But it didn't have a paved road/driveway like he wants. Bleh!!

Just tracked my button quail eggs and they arrived in my city! I just called Canada Post and they said I can't pick it up because they don't know which post office it is at. I thought about sending it straight to my post office but was afraid it would arrive on a morning I work as I work 3 evenings and 2 mornings. The eggs should be here today or tomorrow, hopefully. Otherwise they sit at the post office which will decrease hatchability until Monday.
We live in the country and didn't have a paved road for probably 15 years, it is nice to have one now, but we survived! If you can find a place that's already built then it's just a matter of putting in the effort to keep it going and acreage does take work, but with you being a nurse, you know what hard work is! My husband is very handy and can build anything! We cleared our land and built the house ourselves, it was a learning process and a lot of hard work, but the end result was so worth it!
I hope you get your quail eggs soon and that you get a good hatch! 💞
It's funny you mention leaf raking, I just took a video of leaves falling in our yard, they will eventually cover the lawn, we will be sweeping them up soon. We planted these tree's in 1991, our land was sand & sagebrush!

Back
Top Bottom