2020 Flock Life

Which came first: the chicken or the egg?

• Chicken

Votes: 90 54.2%
  • Egg

Votes: 55 33.1%
  • Neither

Votes: 21 12.7%

• Total voters
Pics
When I got my two Snowflakes they had scaly leg so here’s the difference after treating them 😁

Before:

FE0B9637-A66C-4D2B-9E44-73B9089FFAE3.jpeg

After:

3A2119C2-594A-4257-ABC9-1FFE30F5B1CD.jpeg

The newbies at the water. Arrived midday yesterday. Alot quieter today yet drank 3 times as much in the first full day with me. One of em, Goldie, tells me she's bummed about baseball season being delayed and March Madness being cancelled. All good tho. I'm just glad to see all of em healthy..View attachment 2050366

congrats on your new chicks!:jumpy

View attachment 2050563
First of my chicks to hatch ❤
View attachment 2050630
The second just hatched!
View attachment 2050695
Chick 1
View attachment 2050696
Chick 2
View attachment 2050698
Chick 3 & 4

There are some more eggs that haven't pipped yet too.
They are the fifth generation of their family that I have hatched!View attachment 2050720
Chick 2 has dried out
View attachment 2050722
Chick 3 is almost out!

congrats!:love:jumpy

Morning all!
A bit of sadness, stormed last night and window on shed was open, lost a few more chicks to the cold. But!!! Hatchery said they'd give me store credit to cover them and I'd just pay shipping. So we are getting 3 Partridge Cochin (two had passed of original 3), 3 Easter Eggers, 1 Partridge Rock, and 1 orpington. One of the Barnevelders had passed but I still have 3 so I went with some fun ones.

Today starts a week long raining time, on a plus note schools, events and everything is pretty much cancelled since we're one of the states dealing with the Corona thing. So I only have to go out to feed and tada! My day is done!
On another good note...Sundae claimed broodyness and hatching as her duty. I'm excited!

View attachment 2050677
All the extra eggs from yesterday that the girls could sit on.
My Soggy Farm:
View attachment 2050678
Front Porch, thankfully road stays pretty clear.
View attachment 2050681
Back porch, fenced yard area, behind that is our pasture 5 acres worth.
View attachment 2050683
Front side pasture/carport/stalls... With in trouble chickens, I didn't let them out!
View attachment 2050680
Driveway with old steps, when I woke up...View attachment 2050691
Same area 3 hours later. Walkway under water now by 3 inches! Puddles slowly getting larger width. Our poor draining ditches we made can't keep up.

oh no! Sorry for your loss :hugs
The weather has been awful here too. It was starting to trigger the hens respiratory disease :oops:
I’m getting more medicine for them this evening but they seem to be back to normal
Again.

All of the schools, colleges and child care facilities have closed here and all the shops are pretty much empty.. no toilet roll, soap and bread...

oh no! Sorry for your loss :hugs
The weather has been awful here too. It was starting to trigger the hens respiratory disease :oops:
I’m getting more medicine for them this evening but they seem to be back to normal
Again.

All of the schools, colleges and child care facilities have closed here and all the shops are pretty much empty.. no toilet roll, soap and bread...

Oh no! I'm so sorry they are having issues. And glad you can get some medicine for them!

I hear ya on that! We buy one week at a time and Saturday is the day we do it, I'm worried with everyone going hoardmode I won't be able to get what we need.

And thank you, loosing babies is always hard... But I also know it just happens sometimes.

He’d like you too! He likes anyone if he’s getting attention

:D :D :D :D
is he friendly? i read that quails are usually not very frindly with humans :smack:gig
How have you treated scaly leg mites? i'm dealing with this with my silkie hen. Not a severe case, but i know it's a bad thing...:oops:

:D :D :D :D
is he friendly? i read that quails are usually not very frindly with humans :smack:gig
How have you treated scaly leg mites? i'm dealing with this with my silkie hen. Not a severe case, but i know it's a bad thing...:oops:

Yes, the most friendly quail I know 🤣 I’ve had tame quail before but they’d still have a wary side to them and I wouldn’t have trusted them to free range like Hugo. I would go as far as saying Hugo is a ‘bomb-proof’ quail 😅

He’s been around us when we’ve been working in the garden and on the house, we’ve dropped stuff that’s made a loud noise and he isn’t phased.

Scaly leg isn’t great on a bird and of course does need treating but people hear ‘mite’ and go into panic mode. Scaly leg mites are by far the most easiest to treat and eliminate.

If it’s not bad on your Silkie I’d wash the feet in warm water (soak them) and then scrub them with a toothbrush to loosen any scales that are raised and gross. If the scales aren’t raised enough to come off don’t force them. Then lather the legs in a thick amount of petroleum jelly making sure it’s well worked under any scales too.

Me being me I do this every day if I have a bird with scaly leg like my snowflakes I bought. That’s only because I want to see smooth legs quicker.

You could do it two days in a row, each time you’ll notice the jelly has loosened any raised scales and they can be rubbed off. Then repeat in 7 days. If no improvement, continue with treatment or do it more often.

It’s always worth buying a scaly leg preventer spray to spray onto your flocks legs even if they aren’t showing it and don’t have it 🙂

I just posted this in my intro and thought I'd cross-post it here too. Got a few pictures of the girls today! They chose a new spot for a community dust bath and were very proud of themselves. (DH's comment is "3 phase chickens" ... a little electrical engineering humor for you :plbb .) Poor Plucky (the reddish hen) is missing some feathers from a recent close encounter with a very bold fox.

IMG-0285.jpg

Back
Top Bottom