2021 Chick Order

Alright, all is still well :wee

Still horrible pasty butt (I'm sorry babies, I know you don't like it 😣) but I'm hoping that it will slow down as they get older.

Silkies are still the strongest, but I have a blue (hoping male frizzle) Cochin and a golden (the last one) that are going strong

Pasty butt may be caused by a bacterial gut imbalance due to stress. Here is what I do:

One packet Savachick probiotics &
one packet Savachick electrolytes mixed thoroughly in a gallon of warm water (rinsed milk jug).

A tall narrow container.
Pour in
One cup of non-medicated dry chick crumbles or Purina Flockraiser (niacin)

Pour in enough of the electrolyte/probiotic water to *cover the crumbles by 2 inches of water*.

Stir thoroughly, leave container in a warm place covered by 2 inches of liquid for 12 hours til white film and bubbles (yeast) appear. This is fermented feed.

Put a spoonful of dry feed on a paper plate and mix in a spoonful of the above fermented feed, to make a moist pile that falls apart easily.

Offer this to chicks.
Also get a dropper and feed the liquid to the side of the chick’s beak, a drop at a time.

This is supposed to add warmth, hydration and probiotic support.

Pour off and save the fermented liquid to start a new batch of fermented feed.

Use up any leftover moist feed on the older birds and start a new batch in a rinsed container.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/fermenting-chicken-feed-a-straightforward-method.75967/

Well, my package arrived at laurel today. Now they'll realize why it was more than an inconvenience that they would be avaliable to pick up as late as monday.

On that note, what process is there when you know the package will have only DOAs? Do you refuse it, call the hatchery before accepting or is it different for each hatchery?

Well, my package arrived at laurel today. Now they'll realize why it was more than an inconvenience that they would be avaliable to pick up as late as monday.

On that note, what process is there when you know the package will have only DOAs? Do you refuse it, call the hatchery before accepting or is it different for each hatchery?

Photos and time stamps of delivery date would be your best bet at a case with the hatchery.

Well, Hoover's arrived today, got a call from our favorite postal dude (literally our favorite, not being sarcastic) saying that our chicks came in but he didn't hear anything so he peeked inside and didn't see any alive. Sad, but after what I was told on Saturday, I expected it.

Waiting on a call back from Hoover's to find out exactly what we need to do in order to get a new order sent out as soon as possible since these were the exclusive Hoover's breeds and like half the order wasn't even for me.

Well, Hoover's arrived today, got a call from our favorite postal dude (literally our favorite, not being sarcastic) saying that our chicks came in but he didn't hear anything so he peeked inside and didn't see any alive. Sad, but after what I was told on Saturday, I expected it.

Waiting on a call back from Hoover's to find out exactly what we need to do in order to get a new order sent out as soon as possible since these were the exclusive Hoover's breeds and like half the order wasn't even for me.
I’m so sorry

Back
Top Bottom