2021 Gosling Hatch-a-Long

It's the final count down (🎶dada da da dat da🎶) final cool and swim. Now we're in lock down 🔒. Every egg bobbed and moved during swim time. Most air sacs doubled over the last 48 hours (can see in pic)
Keep me in your thoughts y'all! This is my first time hatching eggs 🙆 been reading (too much) watching (too much) and thinking (way too much!!!)
20210510_070750.jpg
20210510_065713.jpg

It's the final count down (🎶dada da da dat da🎶) final cool and swim. Now we're in lock down 🔒. Every egg bobbed and moved during swim time. Most air sacs doubled over the last 48 hours (can see in pic)
Keep me in your thoughts y'all! This is my first time hatching eggs 🙆 been reading (too much) watching (too much) and thinking (way too much!!!)View attachment 2661249View attachment 2661250

Be careful about dunking them like that. The float test won't tell you anything that candling won't, and it's dangerous because if there's a pip or crack in the egg that you missed, the babies will drown.

For wetting them, you want to just mist them with a water bottle.

Now, all that said, lol, congrats! Fingers crossed for a good hatch! Keep in mind that geese can take up to 35 days to hatch. I usually don't lock eggs down until I candle and see draw down, because of that.

Be careful about dunking them like that. The float test won't tell you anything that candling won't, and it's dangerous because if there's a pip or crack in the egg that you missed, the babies will drown.

For wetting them, you want to just mist them with a water bottle.

Now, all that said, lol, congrats! Fingers crossed for a good hatch! Keep in mind that geese can take up to 35 days to hatch. I usually don't lock eggs down until I candle and see draw down, because of that.
Thank you 😊
I never thought about a missed crack/pip 🤦
Just did a final candling. The 3 small air sacs have just about caught up to the rest.
One has either drawn down or internally pipped! The air sac is not a smooth circle anymore. So there will definitely be no more candling for several days. Once I saw it (It was the last one to be done) I shut the light off and closed the incubator. Tomorrow is day 29. Temp set at 98, humidity around 75.

Update no external pips, no clicks, no quacks. Super quick candle without moving them (other than the draw down one from last night) 3 more draw down, 4 at the same stage as them yesterday.
Gonna be a long couple days for me. I've never been accused of being a patient person 😂

Update no external pips, no clicks, no quacks. Super quick candle without moving them (other than the draw down one from last night) 3 more draw down, 4 at the same stage as them yesterday.
Gonna be a long couple days for me. I've never been accused of being a patient person 😂
Hang in there! And if you hear a quack, you might want to double-check those eggs. :lau

I have another group in lockdown, due to hatch in just a couple of days. It's always fun to see some of the eggs - and not all will do it - turning sideways in the incubator as they get into hatching position: I can look in there and mentally note that it wasn't like that yesterday!

I hope I don't regret it, but I also have shipped eggs coming this week. Last time I tried with shipped eggs, all the air cells were badly saddled and none ultimately hatched. I must be a glutton for punishment.:hmm At least I have eggs from my own gaggle to set with the shipped ones, so I can be pretty sure I'll have goslings in the end - even if only from my own group. Wish those poor eggs luck in their shipping journey...

@FoodFreedomNow good luck with the shipped eggs 🤞
As far as the "if you hear quacks"- definitely have noise coming from the incubator this morning. Wiped down the inside of the incubator window (humidity was at 95% this morning 🤦) Couldn't resist a quick candle peak. Definitely a couple internal pips 🙆 time to find a project that keeps me busy. 😂

Thank you! As of now I have 4 that have external pips, no membranes are punctured, just chips on the shell. I've managed to get the humidity evened out to 85ish. Do you think I should put a safety hole in the shell before I go to bed??? I've done a lot of reading about how to make it and I'm confident I could do it right. Just don't want to be to quick to make it. First external pip was about 10 AM last was just about an hour ago.
Hate to get them this far and end up losing them while I sleep.

Back
Top Bottom