2022/2023 Emu Hatch-a-Long

Pics
I have 3 emus 2 are 4 years and the other 4months. The adult female is tame on her own terms, she allows people to touch when she wants it the male is inquisitive but a little jumpy. The younger one is tame but still not to sure about people. They live on a active farm so they have been desensitized ,to the majority of things, they have had trackters and dogs come into there pen without a problem, they by the pen that the goats live in and the pigs vist, they also live with chickens. They have also been near the sounds of guns from killing raccons by there pens, and the sound of expolsion from the quarry. They still are wild animals in a sense so there its really no telling what they are thinking.

In my post i was taking about if the emu got out into the fenced farm and more talking about how it will reacted to its new freedom there is a wide range of diffrent ares on the farm from, wood to flat ot buldings. There in the back of the farm and the two roads by the farm are bind 10 acres of land or a street with little to no traffic.

I have trained the two older owns to come to my whistle but that works really well in there pen and i would guess that trying to move them the 230 feet or so with a whistling might not work so well especially since the are is going to be new and contain a lot of new things and everyone that has emu knows that emus are inquisitive.

I my only have 4 years of experince of rasing emus but i have a great understanding and respect for the birds and would hate for them to get hurt. But i also like to get advises and people experience on emus for my own person well being.

Great answer! Now, I will leave you to be advised by folks who have experience with moving emus in situations such as yours -- I am Wild Emu Guy, and my competencies are quite different.

But I will watch the thread to see how you get on. We have had discussions over the years about stuff like getting emus on and off trailers, and getting them back into pens, and literally trussing them up to get them to vets.*

'I have trained the two older owns to come to my whistle' -- nice!

Supreme Emu. Lake Muir, Western Australia

*Last year I found a baby kangaroo caught in a fence. I carried it home largely upside down, as you'd carry a chicken. That was hard: it was heavy and I am old.

When I got to the house, I 'swaddled' it. That is, I wrapped it in a sheet -- just like a roll-your-own cigarette!
This left its head sticking out one end, and its injured foot sticking out the other. Thus I was able to treat it.
Next morning it ran off into the bush.
Thanks. I must ask what is a wild emu man, do you watch them in there habitat or what.

Thats not something many people can say they have done. Good for you. I have heard kangaroos are cositered a pest is that really the case, or is it more people building into there habitat?

Here is Eric the Emu with the last clutch he brought here. One of the chicks in this photo is the male 'Tooshtoosh.' Tooshtoosh was here with his first clutch for some months, and the two females who were here this morning are young adults of this clutch -- Eric's grandkids.

Supreme Emu, Lake Muir, Western Australia
That is super cool. I do have a question about there wild mating behavior Do the females choose there partners, i read some where that emu don't mate for life, so im wondering do/have they gone back to males they've been with in the past or do they find a new male.

Also what is there main food source in the wild.

Back
Top Bottom