2022/2023 Emu Hatch-a-Long

'
I find it strange that the emus here have the same schedule as the emus there. You’d think the emus in the US would have switched to summertime breeding by now.
Right, but no they like to lay there eggs when it's freezing and there lots of snow'

Length of days?

Clutches of chicks are lovely. It's fun to introduce visitors to the tame-wild emus. But my real favorite thing is the wild emus -- right outside my kitchen window -- who have no idea that this is 'my place.' They were shown the fruit trees here -- the bird at left is under a pear tree -- when they were little, and they come every year.

SE

Attachments

• 20221209_123544.jpg
    20221209_123544.jpg
    634.9 KB · Views: 12
'

Right, but no they like to lay there eggs when it's freezing and there lots of snow'

Length of days?
I always figured it was more an age thing. That it just happens to be they lay at such and such age, and hatching in late winter makes them that age when winter starts again. Just a coincidence and if someone happened to hatch in summer, maybe that emu would lay in summer?

I don't raise them though, so I don't have anything to actually go on for the theory

I thought Ciara was laying a little slowly - only had gotten three eggs so far. Went out tonight to do my egg search and found one. Yay! Then a little bit away found a second one. Uh. THEN I found a third! Must have been hidden all under the leaf litter and she knocked them out when she laid the third.

So good news is it's been mostly above freezing. Bad news is last night it got down to 18 F. So the other two might be no good. Didn't find any cracks though so I'll try them.

20221209_212558.jpg

I thought Ciara was laying a little slowly - only had gotten three eggs so far. Went out tonight to do my egg search and found one. Yay! Then a little bit away found a second one. Uh. THEN I found a third! Must have been hidden all under the leaf litter and she knocked them out when she laid the third.

So good news is it's been mostly above freezing. Bad news is last night it got down to 18 F. So the other two might be no good. Didn't find any cracks though so I'll try them.

View attachment 3345706
🤔 well shoot. Maybe Willy is just hiding them in the leaves!

Glad you got some more. I’ve been checking daily and have only gotten the 2. It’s strange for her to go 8 days between eggs. I’ll go do some scouring of the bird area to see if she’s just been sneaky like yours.

'I thought Ciara was laying a little slowly - only had gotten three eggs so far. Went out tonight to do my egg search and found one. Yay! Then a little bit away found a second one. Uh. THEN I found a third! Must have been hidden all under the leaf litter and she knocked them out when she laid the third.'

Oooh! We've discussed this in the past: breeding-pairs do sneaky egg-hiding things.

SE

Still no eggs! This is just weird. My chickens are down to a one or two eggs per day for 45 or so birds and Willy is laying one egg every 8 days 😳 Ended up just putting the two she’s laid so far into the incubator.
The people who I got a couple emu eggs from locally said that their emu was taking longer between laying this year. For the past couple years she laid every 3 days like clock work, but this year, it’s been between 5-7 days for most eggs.

Back
Top Bottom