21 weeks...Hen or Roo?

Light brahma hens (at least the one we had) have very small wattles and little comb. The roosters have well defined waddles and a modest comb. That is why I think the one in the back is going to crow on you. Time will tell.

Light brahma hens (at least the one we had) have very small wattles and little comb. The roosters have well defined waddles and a modest comb. That is why I think the one in the back is going to crow on you. Time will tell.

At 21 weeks, any cockerel would have developed saddle feathers. Both are pullets. And yes, a single comb on a brahma is a fault.

Those are both pullets. They are close to starting to lay.

x2. Yes, that's a lot of comb, but these are 21 week old birds. A 21 week old rooster would show more comb and hackle and saddle feathers at 21 weeks. These girls' combs are starting to color up because they are close to point of lay.

Those are both hens. Please don't get rid of them based on some of the replies you're getting here! Seriously, a 21 week cockerel, even on a slow maturing breed like a brahma, would have some sex feathers, larger comb, possibly crowing if no other roosters around, etc. Those are hens reaching point of lay, and you should be getting eggs in the next few weeks.

At least one is a lady and with the rate of eggs we are getting, I believe they both are happy little pullets. In the last 3 days we have gotten 7 lovely medium sized brown eggs.

Of course, now I have been bitten and am already looking at adding more to my tiny flock (do 2 birds count as a flock?). I'm thinking Easter eggers or Red Star. I've read they both have high laying rates and a very docile birds.

Thanks for seeing me though the stress of egg vs crow. I am so glad I got eggs!

Back
Top Bottom