Hen or Roo? Hermaphrodite Silkie?

ChickenLord33

Songster
Nov 5, 2020
OK guys... This one is funny. Ive been calling him a "he" for 2 years and "his" name is Roo. Now I think maybe it's a hen who just feathered differently and acts differently 😂 I can't say for sure if she's laid an egg before or not.

Reasons why I thought he was a he:
1) Head feathers: they are not poofy and look different from all our other silkies.
20230831_101516.jpg

2) His comb is larger than our other silkie hens
20230831_101525.jpg

3) His waddles are larger than our other silkie hens
20230831_101523.jpg

4) He acts differently than the other silkie hens, is always keeping them in check and showing them where food is even if he doesn't eat it himself.
20230228_162524.jpg

5) He would snuggle with his favorite other silkie hen all the time
20220729_083942.jpg

6) Whenever I go out there he is doing this "alarm" sound. It sounds sort of like a loud yoddle. He's the only one that does it.

Reasons I think he's a hen:
1) His spur nails are small like a hen
2) He's never cockadoodledoo'ed ever and he's 2 years old
3) Other people's silkie roos look larger and more upright
4) He sits in the nesting box often on others eggs

So what's up? Is he just a unique hen?? He acts totally different than our other silkies and hes the sweetest thing, loves to cuddle.

Last edited:
I don't think you have a hermaphrodite, no.

I think you've got either got a hen with compromised ovaries or a rooster with compromised testes, as in only one working or they just didn't develop properly, or it has an adrenal condition that suppresses hormones like perhaps a tumour.

I don't think you have a hermaphrodite, no.

I think you've got either got a hen with compromised ovaries or a rooster with compromised testes, as in only one working or they just didn't develop properly, or it has an adrenal condition that suppresses hormones like perhaps a tumour.
Thank you, I think you may be right although I do not know the health implications of any of those conditions.

I actually think it looks more like a hen with perhaps too much testosterone or too little oestrogen than a rooster with the equivalent. More hen like than roo in appearance, but with an enlarged comb that is sort of halfway between. But it has a hen crest, spurs and body shape.

Back
Top Bottom