22% Mash for Winter?

Liv4birds

Chirping
5 Years
May 27, 2014
Salt Lake City
Hi,
My local IFA is selling chicken feed crumble that it advertises as 22% for "Winter." But some other threads say that is only for game birds. Is 22% too high? Bad for my chickens? Thanks for feedback!

Depends on how old your chickens are. Chicks can eat 22%, but I wouldn't give to layer and growing poultry as too much protein can cause issues. I know most people feed the same all year and supplement with treats. I wouldn't change unless your flock needs a change for some reason.

I am one of the few who feeds 22% year-round. My flock was losing weight with no discernible reason a few years ago. (No worms, mites, sickness, etc.) I switched from layer to multi-flock for higher protein and it fixed it. I mix oyster shells in periodically. I haven't seemed to have any problems, but may try layer again.

It depends. I normally feed an 18% protein breeder feed but I might supplement with something higher based on production levels. My thinking is this. In winter my birds don't have access to high-protein bugs, worms, frogs, etc. like they do in summer. IF they were young birds still laying thru winter or I was supplementing light to keep them laying then I might feed a higher protein feed. But my hens are 3 years old and have stopped laying for the winter so I figure since they are not pumping out any eggs, their protein requirement is met by their regular feed.

Hi,
My local IFA is selling chicken feed crumble that it advertises as 22% for "Winter." But some other threads say that is only for game birds. Is 22% too high? Bad for my chickens? Thanks for feedback!
Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

22% might be little high for white leghorn type breeds. But for dual purpose like rocks and such, I think it's fine if that's what you are comfortable feeding. Making sure oyster shell is available for you layers, it MAY help any molting hen grow her feathers back in a bit faster since feathers are made of 90% protein and the amino acids that make it up. Many breeders and show people feed higher protein feeds for shinier, fuller feathers and better hatch results/chick viability. As long as you stay below 28-30% protein then you *shouldn't* have kidney issues. If you notice your birds are getting to fat for their breed standard, then I would change it.

Otherwise, I personally would LOVE to have a 22% protein feed... if it was affordable.

What I wonder is... as protein goes up in a feed, what goes out besides the calcium usually? Do you know if it has a kcal count?

It depends. I normally feed an 18% protein breeder feed but I might supplement with something higher based on production levels. My thinking is this. In winter my birds don't have access to high-protein bugs, worms, frogs, etc. like they do in summer. IF they were young birds still laying thru winter or I was supplementing light to keep them laying then I might feed a higher protein feed. But my hens are 3 years old and have stopped laying for the winter so I figure since they are not pumping out any eggs, their protein requirement is met by their regular feed.
It's true, they aren't pumping out eggs... but they are indeed still growing in feathers (usually).

I feed the same year round. But there might actually be more protein available on my pasture IN winter. Say because that's when worms are around.

Every situation may be different... we don't have to over think it! :oops: Too much marketing deception as stated by another poster. :duc

Simple rule of thumb, according to my research... NOT less than 16% protein or more than 28% (and I wouldn't go that high on a fully mature chicken). Not less than 1% calcium or more than 4.5%. Basically keep it balanced and your birds should be fine. Beyond those specs I just mentioned, is where people start to run into health and behavioral issues.

Thank you everyone for the replies! They have done really well on the 18% so I may just go back to that. But I feel reassured that 22% for a few weeks won't kill them either since most are molting.

A lot of people will have different thoughts on feed and what to feed.
I raise mostly true heritage (non-hatchery) breeds along with some egg production fowl (sex-links of my own breeding and crossing's form heritage fowl), and I wouldn't spend my money on a poultry feed that's less than 20% proteins and didn't have animal products in it. But that's me and my birds don't do as well on feeds that are less proteins and don't have animal products in them. I also up the proteins in winter, Proteins are a little harder to digest and stays in there system longer and in turn helps produce body heat.

To me the best thing anyone in a cold climate could do for there birds is feed a higher protein feed in the winter and cut out 90% of all low protein treats.

I like animal protein in feed, but I have next to no options for that around here. The only one I have is a local organic mash that adds fish meal, but since I no longer feed mash, I am out of luck. I used to feed Purina game bird feed because it contained animal protein, but the feed store quit carrying the feed with animal protein in it several years ago. They now get Purina feed with no animal protein, so it is not that easy. I feed 16% organic feed & my birds do quite well. I supplement with soldier fly larva or grass fed scraps from my the meat I get.

Back
Top Bottom