22 weeks old plymouth barred rock being a recluse

annierose

Chirping
Jun 22, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Hi all,

flock: 2 silkies (laying), 1 sussex coronation, 1 isa brown, 1 plymouth barred rock. These 3 have not started to lay. Approximate age: 19-22weeks.

My sussex is the top hen, plymouth is very shy in general. In the last week i've notice her hanging back from the flock (maybe a 1-2m). If they fly/run in a direction, she follows by flying/running. At night the chickens (excluding silkies) sleep in the same nesting box together.
In the morning i release the chickens to the garden and the plymouth is the last one to leave by a good 10-20 seconds. She looks out of the door like she is unsure or feels unsafe about leaving.

I brought her at 10 weeks with isa and sussex of same age. And she has sneezed once every morning when she goes outside.

Her eyes are clear, lid line is yellow. She eats and drinks fine. Eating sometimes she hangs back if my sussex is there.

I'm just worried she is getting sick and I am at a lost of what to do . Or, is this normal for hens before they start laying?

I’m not sure if you’re little girl is sick but it can’t hurt to keep an eye on her. One of mine will go off by herself for hours free ranging, then come back to the others for normal group chicken activity. I can only assume she’s very independent. All the best for your baby!

Sounds like the 'low bird'...and some are more loners than others.
As long as she's eating/drinking/pooping/moving around OK, I'd not worry.
I'll assume they are all the same age and all grew up together from day old chicks.

Why are they sleeping the nests?
Gonna make for poopy eggs, or lots of extra cleaning.
Make roosts higher than nests, and block nests before dusk and open back up after dark when locking up.

Sounds like the 'low bird'...and some are more loners than others.
As long as she's eating/drinking/pooping/moving around OK, I'd not worry.
I'll assume they are all the same age and all grew up together from day old chicks.

Why are they sleeping the nests?
Gonna make for poopy eggs, or lots of extra cleaning.
Make roosts higher than nests, and block nests before dusk and open back up after dark when locking up.

thanks for the reply, interesting about 'low bird,' she's become more active in the last couple of days. But she is eating, drinking etc all fine.

In regards to roosting, i have perches but the silkies have taken over. I do intend to add some more perches .

Back
Top Bottom