5 year old EE laid strange egg

Jul 8, 2023
I inherited a 5 year old Easter Egger. I had her and the rooster I inherited quarantined together for 2-3 weeks. During that time she didn't lay at all. After letting both join the flock, she has been a pretty regular layer. My original flock wasn't laying yet. She laid her first egg here 3 days after quarantine. Unless she is spooked by someone or something new in her area, she gives me an egg every day. She has even given me 2 double yolk eggs on two consecutive days. Last week she stopped laying. She has never gone more than a day without laying since beginning. She went 3 days this time and I was beginning to get worried. Yesterday she gave me an egg that is smaller, has a strange nub on the end and feels rough. Can you tell me if this is normal for her age or if something might be causing this? I'm attaching pictures of her egg next to one she laid the previous time. The napkin they are laying on was rotated 180 degrees for the second picture (egg in question is on the right in first picture and on left in second).

Upon suggestion from another thread about my Barred Rocks (21 weeks old now) not laying, I changed from a layer crumble with 16% protein to an all in one feed with 18% protein. I also put out oyster shells at all feed stations. Could this be the cause of her strange egg. I have had four eggs now from my 17 BR littles. Two on the same day but nothing consistent. How long does it take for them to start laying consistently?

Attachments

• 20230724_172251.jpg
    20230724_172251.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 20230724_172259.jpg
    20230724_172259.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom