Silkie picking the wrong fights?

EdgeC

Chirping
Aug 5, 2023
So I have about a 18 week old (hen) silkie mix breed (mixed with black austrolope). She is the only of her kind that we have (are hoping for a brooder). Anyways we have kept her separated from the chicks (she didn't hatch and they are only about 9? weeks old (silver wyndottes and barred rock). However with it being so warm, I let the chicks free range in their own (protected) run... and a lot of times during the process of moving the small chicks... the silkie (bottom rank of our established pecking order)... does every thing she can to break into and sometimes when she does... she "tries to attack them" however they sadly also beat her up... Is this normal for silkies to go looking for fights and lose? Keep in mind I separate them instantly and only happens when I am moving them.... (They are always separated from the main flock)

Point being is it normal for a silkie to be super gung hoe into picking fights and still lose even to a 10 week old chick?

I say silkie as they are the color, feet and body of a silkie... feathers are just very pretty from the austrolope.

P.S
The silkie is still x2 (about) the size of the other chicks.

I think that more likely her breed it is her position in the pecking order that is making her aggressive. She wants the newcomers to know that she is 'above' them.
Awesome, makes sense! Thanks so much.
Also with that said... makes me feel kind of bad for her... I can already tell she is going to be the bottom. Again.

So I have about a 18 week old (hen) silkie mix breed (mixed with black austrolope). She is the only of her kind that we have (are hoping for a brooder). Anyways we have kept her separated from the chicks (she didn't hatch and they are only about 9? weeks old (silver wyndottes and barred rock). However with it being so warm, I let the chicks free range in their own (protected) run... and a lot of times during the process of moving the small chicks... the silkie (bottom rank of our established pecking order)... does every thing she can to break into and sometimes when she does... she "tries to attack them" however they sadly also beat her up... Is this normal for silkies to go looking for fights and lose? Keep in mind I separate them instantly and only happens when I am moving them.... (They are always separated from the main flock)

Point being is it normal for a silkie to be super gung hoe into picking fights and still lose even to a 10 week old chick?

I say silkie as they are the color, feet and body of a silkie... feathers are just very pretty from the austrolope.

P.S
The silkie is still x2 (about) the size of the other chicks.
I would LOVE to see a photo of that chicken! I bet she's a beauty. But on the behavior - my grandma has a bantam when I was growing up. Like your hen - she was the bottom of the pecking order and frequently tried to fix that. Lol. She eventually fought a Rhode island Red off her nest. My grandma separated her into a different run, gave her some eggs. She was happy with that and when the babies grew up, she was no longer interested in fighting for whatever reason. Maybe it will work for your girl? I do wish I had a photo of that banty gen walking around with chicks bigger than she was! Lol.

I would LOVE to see a photo of that chicken! I bet she's a beauty. But on the behavior - my grandma has a bantam when I was growing up. Like your hen - she was the bottom of the pecking order and frequently tried to fix that. Lol. She eventually fought a Rhode island Red off her nest. My grandma separated her into a different run, gave her some eggs. She was happy with that and when the babies grew up, she was no longer interested in fighting for whatever reason. Maybe it will work for your girl? I do wish I had a photo of that banty gen walking around with chicks bigger than she was! Lol.
I will try to remember to get my wife to take one when the weather clears up. (pretty nasty next few days. All of ours are full free range, so I guess they like the worms but they stay with the ducks in the rain.

Back
Top Bottom