23 weeks old... still nothing.

chickensducks&agoose

Songster
11 Years
Aug 28, 2008
New England.. the cold part.
ARGH! My husband gets all crabby every time I go buy eggs... "How many chickens do we have!?!" me: "uh.... 15 (totally lying, we've got 17)".... him: "WHY ARE WE BUYING EGGS?!?!!?!?!?!" me: "uh.... OH, Look at that moose!!!" .... there wasn't any moose... Is it the light? If I don't supplemental light, will I ever get eggs?

I hear you LOUD AND CLEAR! My girls were 23 weeks this past Saturday and not a darn egg. I refuse to by store bought eggs and am dying for an egg. I check the nest box a dozen times a day. I am obsessed at this point. Then I hear that it is possible not to get eggs til next spring due to the cold temperature. I know it is much colder up your way. Please tell me this isn't so...............

Sandy

I hate to rain on your parade but I have 34+ weekers not laying yet, time of year, daylight, molt, might be a while still in less you have lights, were adding lights!!!

It really does depend on the breed as much as anything. My Black Stars were a full 28 weeks before they started laying, two weeks later the eggs are finally of nice size and thick shells. It's cold here at night, so far none of my hens have slowed down on the laying. My understanding from this forum is that another big factor is sunlight (or, artificial light), in the winter. Don't give up (p.s., I upped the protein percentage to 20 and a few days later, the Stars began to lay. May have been coincidence, but I figure that betwixt winter and possible molting, the 20% protein won't hurt)....

Well, my egg production waxes & wanes according to breed, age, light, temp & whether or not they've been disturbed. So...I don't know what to say.

I have 3 speckled sussexes (2 should lay "any day now" ) & only 1 is laying once in a while. My silkies are currently laying every other day & they're supposed to be the broody ones. I guess they're not reading the same literature & internet info that I am.
roll.png

I feed 20 % protein, garden extras, scratch, (the kitchen sink.....they are garbage disposals) they have a large yard with grass, oyster shell, grit, I have 1 silkie, 1 seabrite, 1 red production (I know right? this one should have had a 100 already) and 4 fat feathery black Cochin bantams. I'm waiting for a Golden Egg
thumbsup.gif

23 weeks is not that far into egg laying age, depending on breed.

My RIRs usually start between 23 and 28 weeks. Not starting until well past 30 weeks is not unusual for many breeds.

One of the ladies in my coop (not sure what one) isn't laying yet either. I'm only getting 5 eggs out of the main coop and there's 6 ladies in there. They're 28 weeks and I have a Buff Brahma hen that I got a month ago that isn't laying yet. She's 29 weeks old. I figure that sooner or later, they'll lay.

You have to remember that the weather's changing too and that will change egg laying habits.

Soon you'll be happily posting that first egg pic!

Laurie

I was told on here, the longer it takes the better the eggs and production for the long hull, so thats why Im expecting a Golden Egg, 34+ weeks is a LLLLOOOONNNGGG time when you just want to make sure they are chickens.....Right?

lol
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom