23wk EE Lethargic/Watery poop. corrid?

Agreed. I would treat for crop/gizzard issue and Coccidiosis. See if that helps.

The closing of the eyes and walking slowly to me if also concerning. Hopefully she will begin to perk up.
Keep in mind once you start treatment with the Corid, cut out the PND since there's a conflict with the Thiamine in the PND.

I know Marek's has crossed your mind as the cause of her symptoms. It has mine too. It could still be an overall underlying condition, but treating symptoms should be the focus. Even if it's Marek's - supportive care and treating symptoms would be what you would try.
Do some research on the vaccine - I know you seem concerned about that too. The Marek's vaccine might help prevent the formation of tumors, it does not stop infection from the virus nor symptoms. Birds that are vaccinated get sick all the time. There's 4 forms of Marek's and symptoms can be complicated and confusing to say the least.

She's an EE? With a crest? Could she be a CCL instead? Just wondering.
Since EEs are just brown egg layers mixed with blue, our 3 all look wildly different. I assume she is a CCL mix!
I tried whole heartedly to get her beak open long enough to be sure what I was doing but I think I wore her out and myself. So I dripped the Corrid drench dose in one drop at a time… 😬😭
I know she didn’t get 100% so I added .5ml to her water dish (knowing that won’t be more than what she should have gotten as she won’t drink nearly half). She isn’t looking good tonight, she isn’t interested in eating. Her poop looked very green. I also noticed a dark (not purple but very dark) spot on the bottom of one of her wattles. I’m not 100% sure it wasn’t there before but I don’t think it was. She has voluntarily had some of the water already. I am trying the coconut oil too. 😭😭😭
I want to help her so badly.

@Swbertrand1 has given you some excellent advice. Yes, trying to diagnose a chicken over the internet is really like shooting at a target in the dark. We try various things and hope one will make a difference.

Do you know if this pullet is getting grit? It sounds like she could be constipated or has an impacted gizzard. I would try that coconut oil right now. A full teaspoon broken into pea size pieces and chilled hard so it's easy to slip it all into her beak. Within an hour, your should see more solids in the poop if she had been constipated. She would instantly feel better, too.

As @Swbertrand1 mentioned early in the thread, coccidiosis is a possibility. It does no harm to treat for it just in case. I suggest you get some liquid Corid today and mix it TWO teaspoons into a gallon of water or quarter teaspoon into a quart. Treat the entire flock.

Most important, give her the drench dose for three days in addition to the Corid water for five days. The drench is .5ml undiluted directly into the beak with a syringe or dropper. If it's coccidiosis, this should produce a marked improvement within hours.
57755F67-B146-4C5A-8186-AD62135AD558.jpeg

this is the spot on her wattle that I noticed.

Update: I was able to get her to eat egg yolk mixed with her drench dose of corrid for the day and that perked her up. She went after the grit like she hadn’t seen it in a month. She got another dose of coconut oil as well. I have not dewormed her yet. I made a mash of fried egg, feed, honey, and corrid water and she has had some. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

I started her on safeguard paste today. She gets her 3rd drench dose of corrid tonight. I think I’ll soak her again tonight too. She is still getting coconut oil.
Other than getting to a vet which I’m working on, is there anything else you’d try?
If it’s worms, how long before I should see an improvement?
thank you all so much for your help. Dawn and I appreciate it.
There is no problem worming at the same time a chicken is on Corid.

So her poop is much more brown than green which seems like a good sign but when I checked for worms I found what look like little whitish/clear crystals (like sand or silica)? Is this just sand from her normal free ranging or is this some sort of urine by product I should be concerned about? Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom