24-28 week molt??? Question

Swampchicken1

In the Brooder
Nov 17, 2019
Bought my chickens in April. They all act healthy. However a few of them are almost completely bald under the vent. No lice or mites visible and vents look good. Is this a molt or something to worry about? I have noticed some new feathers coming in but they are very bald in that area, probably a 2*2 area. it is very cold here in upstate ny.

Bought my chickens in April. They all act healthy. However a few of them are almost completely bald under the vent. No lice or mites visible and vents look good. Is this a molt or something to worry about? I have noticed some new feathers coming in but they are very bald in that area, probably a 2*2 area. it is very cold here in upstate ny.

Welcome To BYC!
Your title say 24-28wk molt. Are these pullets 24-28wks old, you got them as chicks?
What type of food/treats do you have?
How many birds do you have?
It does look like feather picking - observe you pullets during roosting time, see if these are getting plucked then.
The bottom (abdomen) on the pullet looks a bit "saggy" could be the photo, but I would feel of that, is it firm/hard or soft and pliable?

upload_2019-11-17_18-2-53.png

Hello and welcome to BYC. It would be helpful if you could upload a picture of the bird/s in question.

Welcome To BYC!
Your title say 24-28wk molt. Are these pullets 24-28wks old, you got them as chicks?
What type of food/treats do you have?
How many birds do you have?
It does look like feather picking - observe you pullets during roosting time, see if these are getting plucked then.
The bottom (abdomen) on the pullet looks a bit "saggy" could be the photo, but I would feel of that, is it firm/hard or soft and pliable?

View attachment 1961053
I got them as chicks. They have been together since weeks 1. Did the math and I believe they are 32 weeks as of today. I give them layer feed and about a cup of scratch per day. I have 17. I observed them a lot and they are nice to each other. All seems to roost in the same place. And I think it is the pic that makes it look like that but I’ll check tomorrow.

I give them layer feed and about a cup of scratch per day.
Are they all laying?
What is the protein percentage of the layer feed?
Might want to cut out the scratch and feed an animal protein type treat instead.
Tho even higher protein might not stop it...have a few bare butted girls.

Agrees that it looks like picking, hard to catch them at it unless you watch them 24/7.

Back
Top Bottom