24-28 week molt??? Question

Swampchicken1

In the Brooder
Nov 17, 2019
Bought my chickens in April. They all act healthy. However a few of them are almost completely bald under the vent. No lice or mites visible and vents look good. Is this a molt or something to worry about? I have noticed some new feathers coming in but they are very bald in that area, probably a 2*2 area. it is very cold here in upstate ny.

Bought my chickens in April. They all act healthy. However a few of them are almost completely bald under the vent. No lice or mites visible and vents look good. Is this a molt or something to worry about? I have noticed some new feathers coming in but they are very bald in that area, probably a 2*2 area. it is very cold here in upstate ny.
Hello and welcome to BYC. It would be helpful if you could upload a picture of the bird/s in question.

Attachments

• 84FCE28A-944B-479A-BBA9-4478C4801761.jpeg
    84FCE28A-944B-479A-BBA9-4478C4801761.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 13

Welcome To BYC!
Your title say 24-28wk molt. Are these pullets 24-28wks old, you got them as chicks?
What type of food/treats do you have?
How many birds do you have?
It does look like feather picking - observe you pullets during roosting time, see if these are getting plucked then.
The bottom (abdomen) on the pullet looks a bit "saggy" could be the photo, but I would feel of that, is it firm/hard or soft and pliable?

upload_2019-11-17_18-2-53.png

Welcome To BYC!
Your title say 24-28wk molt. Are these pullets 24-28wks old, you got them as chicks?
What type of food/treats do you have?
How many birds do you have?
It does look like feather picking - observe you pullets during roosting time, see if these are getting plucked then.
The bottom (abdomen) on the pullet looks a bit "saggy" could be the photo, but I would feel of that, is it firm/hard or soft and pliable?

View attachment 1961053
I got them as chicks. They have been together since weeks 1. Did the math and I believe they are 32 weeks as of today. I give them layer feed and about a cup of scratch per day. I have 17. I observed them a lot and they are nice to each other. All seems to roost in the same place. And I think it is the pic that makes it look like that but I’ll check tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom