25 babies coming in feb. coop built for up to 10

bj taylor

Songster
8 Years
Oct 28, 2011
North Central Texas
i am working @ making myself as ready as possible for the babies. i ordered from mcmurray. silver laced wyandottes, buff orpintons, barred rock, black australorp. mcmurray indicated 25 was minimum order. my coop is built for 10 max and it's built inside an enclosed hoop house/mini barn. it will be out of drafts, rain, etc. questions...
1. can i brood the chicks in the coop (well enclosed) w/ pine litter on floor & heat lamp directed to a corner or is that too loose an environment when they're so little? i live in Texas & being feb we could get a cold spell but it won't be what some of y'all get.
2. since i'm a complete novice i'm reluctant to get rid of extras (all females) immediately. is it feasible to keep them all to see how things go then sell the extras to a feed store or such?
thanks alot for your input.

Yes, you can brood chicks in their future home. Just check it over for holes that are the size of a quarter because chicks are vulnerable to pests like rats and snakes. Some folks put up a cardboard ring to reduce the space for the first week and lessen the chance of a chick wandering too far from the heat and getting lost. You didn't say how big the coop is but if it's ~4x8, maybe partition it in half and then remove the partition after a week.

And, I think you'd better get started on the second coop right away.
lol.png

If you can't build a larger structure or decide that you are able to part with some after all, it will be easier to sell the extras once they no longer need supplemental heat... but you're also paying for feed for as long as you keep them so you'll need to ask for more money the older they get to break even.

Congrats on your chicks! They are so much fun. People around here actually sell the chicks as week old on Craigslist for $5.00. I bet you wouldn't have a hard time selling some of your extras in a similar way.

I agree you can brood them in your space and caulk even the tiniest holes my brooder is a large metal dog kennel with plastic hardware cloth aroudn it, once they are about 4 weeks old you will have to start thinking about a bigger space 25 hens will produce a lot of eggs for you, I have 12 hens and they lay more eggs than we can eat and give away. I would find someone close who would like a few hens. I gave 2 roo's and 2 hens to a guy i work he didn't really care if they were laying or not he just likes watching them

I always brood in an outbuilding, yearround. They live in there till the next batch comes.
Just give them a heat lamp and lots of cool space for them to escape it and they feather well.
Keep bedding dry and feeders full and there's little chance of a coccidia problem.

I just paid $7 each for two, 5 week old EE chicks. While this was probably twice what I paid for day old chicks, it was worth it to me because I really only needed 2 to add to my flock and even if I'd purchased through My Pet Chicken, I would have had to order 6 or 7 and then paid something like $50 in shipping and handling. I found the 2 I purchased on Craigs List.

Regarding the outbuilding...one thing to keep in mind is how much of a worrier you are and how much you'll want to check on your chicks. I had mine in the garage for the first 4 weeks, and it was so convenient to pop in and check on them (or just watch them play) at any time of the day or night. It was so easy to handle each of them to check for pasty butt or other problems. I consider that a valid reason to keep them close for at least a week or two, even if they'd be comfortable in your coop. They poop like crazy and mess up their food and water and eat the pine shavings and stuff. A simple brooder lined with paper towels was really convenient in the beginning

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom