27 week old cream legbar that is not laying yet.

Are you certain she is broody? It's quite unusual for them to go broody after just starting to lay and cream legbars aren't a particularly broody breed. Just want you to be sure she isn't ailing for something before you put her in a broody buster cage.

Do you have any idea what else it could be because I have no clue.
New layers can spend a lot of time in the nest.

Don't try to break her unless she's been in the nest for 3 consecutive day and nights.

ETA: Other signs of broody, laying flat as a pancake on nest, screeching, growling, biting, very upset and being disturbed.

Last edited:
I will double check. However she does get angry when I or anyone else gets near. I know she has not been roosting. I'll try my best.

When I got home today my girl, Chipmunk, was out and about. She was back to her usual self free ranging. Then I went to close the coop and looked inside. She was roosting!!!! So glad bc I was getting worried.

my 2 girls (7 mo. old) just started laying about 3-4 weeks ago, however my easter egger (same age 7mo. ) still has not laid. Don't expect to see her eggs until it gets warmer now. If they haven't started yet you will get some the next laying season
yippiechickie.gif

Yes you might just have to wait. Our EEs are siblings and while 2 laid on time at around 5.5 months the third one didnt lay until today, making her 7.5 months old when she started laying. She didnt disappoint us at all and laid a green egg! :D

I bought my CCL, wyandotte & EE girls in august and they told me they were about 6 months old. Well I waited and waited and fed them real good and no eggs SO, I got on here and read post on giving them cayenne pepper in their food and for 3 weeks- twice a week I dosed them good with the pepper and guess what? They started laying one by one, the EE first then the CCL and my wyandotte last...who knows if it was the pepper or just time but its fun to believe the old tales!!!

I know birds aren't affected the same as other animals to peppers,as they spread seeds worldwide. I've never heard this about inducing laying. Could you please explain? My girls are giving signs but no eggs yet.( good 6 months + winter)?

Back
Top Bottom