28 days, shaking eggs and crossed fingers!

Kleonaptra

Songster
7 Years
Oct 3, 2012
Western Sydney, Australia
Hi all,

Friday I noticed an egg shaking but I thought it was just the bator vibrating. Sat morn I noticed another one shaking, but I didn't see it move again all day, and got discouraged. Late last night a different one again started moving, and this one had the date on the top....and then it was on the side so the egg definitely moved.

Im at a real nail biting stage here! Almost tying my hands together to stop myself opening the bator! Occasionally I think I hear cheeping or tapping but Im not sure. I want to candle/help but I feel its so important they make that first crack themselves.

How exciting!!!! Yes, this is the time when it's best to sit on your hands and just watch the magic happen. ;) Good luck with your hatch and keep us updated! Post pics when they're out. :)

2am (about 10hrs since I noticed external pip) and alls well. Every time I check, the hole is a little bigger. 2 other eggs are shaking and chirping. This is so exciting, Ive done a few (Only mildly successful) incubations before and Ive never got to see the eggs move. I usually only get one baby, that was with home made bators, this is with a proper one.

I have 9 eggs in total in there, at 12 days I candled and counted 4 live and 5 maybe. I meant to candle again but never did, now Im worrying about the 5 maybes, I dont want a rotten one exploding in there. Should I try and get them out or leave everything alone for a few days? I havnt even looked to see if my heat lamp for the brooder works!

You definitely don't want to open the incubator unnecessarily now that they are pipping. That risks losing humidity and drying out the membranes, and then your ducklings won't be able to hatch out. Best to leave them alone once they have started pipping (I know it's hard but it's for the best).

I know it sounds weird, but just give your incubator a good sniff all around (on the outside, don't open it) and make sure you don't smell anything bad. If you don't smell rotten egg, then you should be safe. They will start to smell long before they explode. ;)

I would go test out your heat lamp right now (yes, now!). Make sure you're ready for your new little ones. ^-^

Leelus baby has hatched! She looks like a dead ringer for her mommy right down to the marking on her beak!

This is Leelu by the way!

Shes very lively, really knocking the other eggs around. I hope she doesn't upset the ones not yet pipped. Ive got 3 left, 2 pekin and one call (Leelus mother) 1 pekin external pipped.

The call egg was the first to start moving but I hadn't seen it move all this time. Its just started up again. The other pekin eggs gone quiet for now. I cant wait to get a better look - and some pics for you!

Ok 2 ducks now, and both remaining eggs have pipped the wrong end. Im a bit worried about them as the others kicked them around a bit. Duck 1 (Stormy) has been in the bator nearly 24 hours and duck 2 (Q) about 12.

I ended up opening the bator to pull out the egg shells - I just quickly stuck my hand in the lid was only up for a second - because one looked bloody and I wanted to check it. It ended up just being poopy gunk.

Last night we experienced one of the worst storms ever for our area. Snow fell on the nearby mountains and I felt the temp drop here. I had to cover the bator as the temp was dropping. I also have a sick pigeon to keep warm and 2 kids one only 3 months. I was freaking out we would lose power, so many people did. Its still very windy and rainy today so we aren't out f the woods yet.

Should I get the little ones out? Ive set up the heat lap and box and put a sheet up over the drafty window. I imagine they will be wanting some food and water soon. Im just not sure they wil be warm enough.

Ok the 2 I thought had pipped wrong end are not actually pipped. That's my tired eyes looking thru the murky bator lid without my glasses on. They are still shaking a little. I chucked out 2 that were clear, and one had pipped that I hadn't noticed. I used tweezers to break the membrane (which is nice and clear and white) because I could hear movement but no cheeping. I also wrapped the egg in damp paper towel. The 2 ducklings immediately piled on him, trashed the paper towel (trying to eat it) then started pecking the hole! I can see the little beak moving behind the hole.

So I have 2 ducks, 2 moving eggs with no pips, 1 pipped in quiet time and one egg left Im not sure about. My brooder is set and ready to go BUT I have to do a bit of washing, once I have both brooder and bator going Im out of power points.

I hope these babies will be ok starting on some layer pellet, we cant get out to any stores today. My partner is even home from work the storm is so bad. There are sirens going off all around us. Its been going for about 8hrs.

When I have to open the bator I take a jug of warm water and add it to the bator to replace humidity. If I do it carefully it doesn't affect temp but makes the inside nice and steamy. Im going to move the ducklings his arvo so I will start a new thread with pics. Stormy and Q are very lively, gorgeous babies, cant wait to show you!

Back
Top Bottom