2ft High Picket Fence Around Garden

UtahCooper

Hatching
Oct 4, 2020
Hey All, springtime, aka planting time is just around the corner now, so I'm contemplating what to plant and how to keep my flock of 4 hens out. I read some reviews about the 2ft high (3" spacing) picket fencing from Lowe's being able to deter any of the girls from hopping in. The height is obviously a trifle for most healthy birds, but allegedly the pointed pickets present a challenge for them to perch on their flight over, so that's supposed to keep them from even attempting. Does anyone have any experience with type of fencing for protecting gardens? Most of my garden is fortunately already 4ft high, so this would present a towering 6ft barrier for my chubby layers, but there are a few ground-level entrances that this would also be expected to guard, while giving me a low barrier to step over for daily garden access.

Since it’s only 4 hens I’m optimistic for you. But I have no experience keeping chickens out of my garden. I stopped letting them free range once I got my puppy.

My guineas who can fly super duper high were deterred from a 4 ft fence. But they’re not that bright 😂

Hey All, springtime, aka planting time is just around the corner now, so I'm contemplating what to plant and how to keep my flock of 4 hens out. I read some reviews about the 2ft high (3" spacing) picket fencing from Lowe's being able to deter any of the girls from hopping in. The height is obviously a trifle for most healthy birds, but allegedly the pointed pickets present a challenge for them to perch on their flight over, so that's supposed to keep them from even attempting. Does anyone have any experience with type of fencing for protecting gardens? Most of my garden is fortunately already 4ft high, so this would present a towering 6ft barrier for my chubby layers, but there are a few ground-level entrances that this would also be expected to guard, while giving me a low barrier to step over for daily garden access.

To follow up several months later, I can now confidently say that the 2ft fence works very well as a chicken barrier for the garden. My birds are well aware of what's been growing in the garden all summer and have spent hours looking in or trying to poke their heads through the slats, but they have not once even attempted to fly over this diminutive little obstacle. Super inexpensive solution to what otherwise would have been frustrating summer of gardening and chicken keeping.

Attachments

• 20210413_185633.jpg
    20210413_185633.jpg
    863.1 KB · Views: 29

Back
Top Bottom