2m/o silkie shaking head/wobbly?

FalseToast

Chirping
Jul 22, 2023
Southern Ontario
Not sure what’s going on! Definitely urgent as she’s not eating! It’s so sad, because she’s preening herself and yet her head is being thrown around like a rag doll. I will say she does have lice unfortunately, but I’m so unsure what’s going on? She’s moving or trying to and stuff she just won’t stop throwing her head around! Could it be ear mites or do the lice cause this as well?

Sorry, I dont know. But it’s hard to tell anyway if we don’t see what she is doing. Hope its not Mareks disease. :fl

Can you make a movie (with a smartphone ) , post it on youtube and share it?

Does she have symptoms of wry neck? Wry neck can be a problem if there is a head injury, vitamin E deficiency, frommheredity, or can happen with certain infectious diseases. What are you doing for the lice? Permethrin garden dust or the spray is good, but I‘m not sure that you can get it in Canada.

If she has lice the lice are sucking the life right out of her and with her not eating she is probably suffering from nutritional deficiencies. If you don't get rid of the lice and tube feed her she will probably die.

Are you willing to learn how to tube feed?

She certainly looks bothered by something in the video. Does she ever stop moving her neck about? If you suspect wry neck, most people use human vitamin E 400 IU daily, plus a small amount of B complex for thiamine, and a few bits of scrambled egg for selenium. I would try getting the lice off of her. Sulfur powder can work, but a soapy bath inside a warm house, followed by a towel dry and blow dryer would be good. The coop and nests, roosts, and all other birds should be treated after a bedding change. Then repeat treatment in 7 days for the newly hatched lice.

I would call your regular vet tomorrow and ask if there is a recommendation for lice in birds or chickens.

If she has lice the lice are sucking the life right out of her and with her not eating she is probably suffering from nutritional deficiencies. If you don't get rid of the lice and tube feed her she will probably die.

Are you willing to learn how to tube feed?
@FalseToast Did you see this post?

She certainly looks bothered by something in the video. Does she ever stop moving her neck about? If you suspect wry neck, most people use human vitamin E 400 IU daily, plus a small amount of B complex for thiamine, and a few bits of scrambled egg for selenium. I would try getting the lice off of her. Sulfur powder can work, but a soapy bath inside a warm house, followed by a towel dry and blow dryer would be good. The coop and nests, roosts, and all other birds should be treated after a bedding change. Then repeat treatment in 7 days for the newly hatched lice.
She temporarily stops moving her neck as she slowly falls asleep. Finally checked her ears and I do see lice.

Back
Top Bottom