2yo Americauna possible URI

Nanadd

Chirping
Dec 25, 2022
I have an Americauna who is at least 2 years old. I’ve had her for a year and she was at least one year when I got her but the lady I got her from didn’t know her age for sure. She has always had chronic respiratory issues that flare up every now and again but she always got better. She does have a sour smell that I haven’t been able to get rid of. I’ve treated her for respiratory issues before but never with Denegard until today. Her eyes were crusty this morning so I cleaned them off and used an eye ointment. She was eating less and has lost weight over the last few days. I’ve separated her and brought her inside and she seems to be getting worse since I’ve separated her. I am treating the whole flock with the preventative dosage and her with the therapeutic dosage. I am wondering if separating her from the rest has upset her and if she’ll heal faster if I just put her back with the other girls. She was eating and drinking until I brought her inside. Now she won’t touch her food. Is she just angry or afraid? Should I just wait and see how she is acting tomorrow? Any insight or advice would be appreciated.

Can’t tell you to put her back or not. In my experience with my EE who got sick she got more depressed when inside and would eat and drink when she was outside but not inside.

Can you post a picture of her tomorrow? Is the sour odor coming from her crop, or from the respiratory disease? Does her crop empty overnight by the next morning? No need to separate her now since you have had her with the flock for the last year. They have already been exposed if it is MG. What has helped her symptoms in the past? Denagard is usually for treatment of MG.

Update: she just passed awa. I heard her moving around in the pen inside and I looked to see what she was doing when she started convulsing and shaking uncontrollably. She then lay dead. It was awful to watch her go that way. 😢😢 is that normal behavior as they die or did she pass away from the seizure? I’m heartbroken. She was a sweet girl. 😢

Can’t tell you to put her back or not. In my experience with my EE who got sick she got more depressed when inside and would eat and drink when she was outside but not inside.

Update: she just passed away. I heard her moving around in the pen inside and I looked to see what she was doing when she started convulsing and shaking uncontrollably. She then lay dead. It was awful to watch her go that way. 😢😢 is that normal behavior as they die or did she pass away from the seizure? I’m heartbroken. She was a sweet girl. 😢

Can you post a picture of her tomorrow? Is the sour odor coming from her crop, or from the respiratory disease? Does her crop empty overnight by the next morning? No need to separate her now since you have had her with the flock for the last year. They have already been exposed if it is MG. What has helped her symptoms in the past? Denagard is usually for treatment of MG.
She just passed away. I treated her before with Tylan when she was sneezing more than normal and I used Terramycin ointment when her eyes were showing signs of infection. (Swelling, gunk, sometimes the gunk had to be removed with warm water and a q-tip before I could put the ointment in) I heard her moving around so I checked to see if she was eating or drinking and then she started convulsing like a seizure and she died shortly after. I am wondering if the convulsion was natural behavior before they die or if she died because of the convulsions? I will have to have her necropsied to find out what I can.

Back
Top Bottom