2yo light Brahma in trouble

Farmgirl1878

Crowing
7 Years
Mar 17, 2017
Piketon, Ohio
My Coop
My Coop
She’s hot, lethargic, won’t eat, having a hard molt, has been pooping really BIG, sloppy, greenish brown poops, and has only had a few sips of water. Her face is red and her eyelids have a white stripe under the eye. No discharge or coughing, but she’s not talking either - just quiet chirps.

she was fine last night and got down off the roost without assistance this morning. @aart

What could it be??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    515.7 KB · Views: 11
She doesn’t look like she’s molting, her feathers look beautiful. Maybe try and give her some scrambled eggs with a little garlic in them... and some electrolyte water. If she just molted she my need the extra protein.

She broke a toenail two days ago, could she have a generalized infection without having any redness or discoloration of that toe? She ate some more of the wet mash before going in the coop, but I did have to help her up on the top level poop deck where she likes to sleep. She’s really shaky, like she’s weak, and feverish.

She broke a toenail two days ago, could she have a generalized infection without having any redness or discoloration of that toe? She ate some more of the wet mash before going in the coop, but I did have to help her up on the top level poop deck where she likes to sleep. She’s really shaky, like she’s weak, and feverish.
When you get a chance could you post a picture of the toe? Infection is a good possibility, or she could just be in pain and trying not to move too much.

When you get a chance could you post a picture of the toe? Infection is a good possibility, or she could just be in pain and trying not to move too much.
Sure, I’ll take a pic tomorrow. In the meantime, here’s the pic from right after the injury. She bled a couple of drops and then was ok. She’s not favoring that foot at all.
E79D00D6-4C36-405B-8080-157948633A8F.jpeg

Sure, I’ll take a pic tomorrow. In the meantime, here’s the pic from right after the injury. She bled a couple of drops and then was ok. She’s not favoring that foot at all.View attachment 2421512
Poor baby... I have a feeling that is very painful. This might be one of those times when you would want to get an antibiotic just in case... I’m really not sure what to do if you suspect infection??

@Eggcessive

Doesn't look like she's molting, not 'hard' anyway.
Toenail doesn't look and sound like it's to be of concern.

I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so I can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling. Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

I’m just hoping she makes it through the night. If she does, I’ll check her crop in the morning. She’s always had a bit of an impacted crop because she loves to eat sand. It’s not been a problem before, but could be now. 🤞🏻🤞🏻

Back
Top Bottom