3 Chickens have died so far......

silkiemum

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 10, 2008
Evening all,

I have had 3 chickens die on me so far.

1 black silke, was dead where she slept. This was the first one, I had not seen any sign of illness from her.

1 Brown slike, had died today, the vet looked at her last Monday, her symptoms, very larthgetic, closed eyes, opening & closing her mouth very slow to eat and drink (but very little of this). The vet looked at her and said she seemed to have some sort of cold/flu as she had foam in her when he looked down inside her beak. She has been on antibotics for 7 days, kept warm inside and seperate from the others. She never got any better and died this afternoon after her last tablet this morning. He said they others might get it so keep an eye out.

We have been away for easter and our neighbours have looked after the chickens (including the above one). While we were away my neighbour found another one very sick, she was wedged up the side of the run, and had a very pooie bottom. Buy the time she got her out she had gone.

I am really worried the 'cold/flu' thing could go through the lot of them (there are 15 left). They have a 2 roomed house with sawdust floor ( which I will clean tomorrow again just to make sure), a small outside secure area and a large run. Commercial chook food, plenty of water and household scraps. Can you suggest any way of protecting the others? Or will it be the survival of the fittest?

Has anyone had this happen before? I will ring the Vet in the morning too as ask advice from him also
Any suggestions greatly appriciated.
Regards
to you all.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom