3 days ago my 3 chicks became pullets, when do they enter the main chicken house ?

aurimilky

Songster
6 Years
Aug 17, 2016
3 days ago my 3 chicks became pullets and my broody hen left them and rejoined the flock.

Right now when it is night time, the 3 pullets, still use the brooding box / nest to sleep in.

When will they start to use the main chicken house with the other chickens ?

My chicks that’s been raised by a broody hens, been with the main flock since the first week and they actually perch on lower roosting bars the 3 and 4th week with the momma hens.

Pullets are officially hens at 18 weeks, but we put them outside at probably a month and a half. We have an extra coop that they live in till they are 18. It's kind of so the bigger hens can get used to seeing them around

Chickens hate change. They will most likely continue sleeping where they were raised as long as they can gain access.

My chicks that’s been raised by a broody hens, been with the main flock since the first week and they actually perch on lower roosting bars the 3 and 4th week with the momma hens.

Okay. Will my perches are on the same level.

Pullets are officially hens at 18 weeks, but we put them outside at probably a month and a half. We have an extra coop that they live in till they are 18. It's kind of so the bigger hens can get used to seeing them around

Okay. My chickens (hens and rooster), have seen them with the broody, when they where still chicks, so they are now running around with my main flock of chickens.

Chickens hate change. They will most likely continue sleeping where they were raised as long as they can gain access.

Okay that makes sense.

Now that they are running with the main flock of chickens, would it be safe to remove the broody box / nest, so that they start to use the main chicken house and enter main flock properly ?

The way I understand this the hen raised the chicks with the flock during the day but they slept in a separate shelter at night. The hen weaned her chicks and rejoined the flock but her chicks still sleep in that shelter. They still roam with the flock during the day but I'd guess stay kind of separate.

I did it this way a lot, especially when my main coop was pretty full until I could butcher some older juveniles and reduce the numbers in there or put some in a grow-out pen. Sometimes the hen would move her chicks into the main coop before she weaned them and took them to the roosts, where she would protect them. But most often she'd do what yours did, move in herself but leave her chicks outside.

I was in no hurry to move them in to the main coop. It just wasn't that much of a problem letting them sleep outside. With them roaming with the main flock during the day, even if they stayed separate, they were integrated. I consider a successful integration of chicks this age to mean they are not getting hurt, not that they are actually roosting with the older flock or eating from the same feeders at the same time. Sounds like you have achieved that.

Sometimes those chicks would move in on their own a week or month or two months later. Sometimes but not that often. Most of the time (depending on how crowded the main coop was) I'd lock those chicks in the main coop at around 12 weeks of age or older at night after they had all bedded down for the night. I'd put the chicks on the coop floor and walk away. I'd also lock that outside shelter so they could no longer go in. Sometimes they all learned to put themselves to bed in the main coop after on time but often they'd try to sleep around that shelter and I'd have to put them in the main cop a few times until they got the message.

The next morning I'd be down there pretty early to see if there were any problems. There never were but I did have a pretty large coop, even if at times I had a lot of chickens for its size. But a lot of those were chicks, not adults. Each flock and each coop is different.

The basic answer in to your question is that I don't know. They may move in on their own at any time, you may have to help them. Unless you have a strong reason to move them in though I'd suggest some patience. At that age you don't need to be in a rush.

Actually Pullets till one year of age and then Hens.
Let them out into the flock and allow them to find their way in the flock. I let Momma raise her Chicks in the flock.

Yes they are running with the flock and some times keeping away from the other hens. As for their mum, she has gone to do her own thing now, but that doesn't stop the pullets chasing her down to for bread.

The way I understand this the hen raised the chicks with the flock during the day but they slept in a separate shelter at night. The hen weaned her chicks and rejoined the flock but her chicks still sleep in that shelter. They still roam with the flock during the day but I'd guess stay kind of separate.

I did it this way a lot, especially when my main coop was pretty full until I could butcher some older juveniles and reduce the numbers in there or put some in a grow-out pen. Sometimes the hen would move her chicks into the main coop before she weaned them and took them to the roosts, where she would protect them. But most often she'd do what yours did, move in herself but leave her chicks outside.

I was in no hurry to move them in to the main coop. It just wasn't that much of a problem letting them sleep outside. With them roaming with the main flock during the day, even if they stayed separate, they were integrated. I consider a successful integration of chicks this age to mean they are not getting hurt, not that they are actually roosting with the older flock or eating from the same feeders at the same time. Sounds like you have achieved that.

Sometimes those chicks would move in on their own a week or month or two months later. Sometimes but not that often. Most of the time (depending on how crowded the main coop was) I'd lock those chicks in the main coop at around 12 weeks of age or older at night after they had all bedded down for the night. I'd put the chicks on the coop floor and walk away. I'd also lock that outside shelter so they could no longer go in. Sometimes they all learned to put themselves to bed in the main coop after on time but often they'd try to sleep around that shelter and I'd have to put them in the main cop a few times until they got the message.

The next morning I'd be down there pretty early to see if there were any problems. There never were but I did have a pretty large coop, even if at times I had a lot of chickens for its size. But a lot of those were chicks, not adults. Each flock and each coop is different.

The basic answer in to your question is that I don't know. They may move in on their own at any time, you may have to help them. Unless you have a strong reason to move them in though I'd suggest some patience. At that age you don't need to be in a rush.

Okay thanks

Back
Top Bottom