3 Goslings suddenly passed

twinoaks_va

Hatching
Apr 26, 2023
Looking for thoughts on what might be causing unusual gosling deaths. Had 6 goslings in total, gave 2 away and they are doing good, still have 1 and is thriving and 3 suddenly died.

All are a week to 4 weeks old. The 4 week old gosling died today but otherwise seemed healthy.

None had issues until we started using pine bedding. Normally we use newspaper. So, I'm wondering if it is a fungus?

The two smaller goslings almost looked like they had a broken neck (thrown back and very contorted) but it came on sudden and they died within minutes. They are inside with a heat source and plenty of room to move around. Still on starter.

New shavings, tractor supply brand

We use heating plates. The lamps make me nervous.

Dumor 20% chick starter

No Teflon

This is our 4th year hatching (incubator) geese and ducks. Our ducks are great but 4 hatched earlier and are already outside (no shavings). The other 2 are inside with shavings. We have lost 1 or 2 before but not 3 within days.

New shavings, tractor supply brand

We use heating plates. The lamps make me nervous.

Dumor 20% chick starter

No Teflon

This is our 4th year hatching (incubator) geese and ducks. Our ducks are great but 4 hatched earlier and are already outside (no shavings). The other 2 are inside with shavings. We have lost 1 or 2 before but not 3 within days.

That’s really odd. I use tractor supply shavings myself and haven’t had any issues. I have heard things over the years about pine shavings being toxic but that’s really hard to prove and there are so many other factors that could have contributed to the alleged illnesses of birds people claimed were made ill by the shavings.
Some species of pine are toxic but some are not, unfortunatly tractor supply does not list the species used, nor do they list where the trees were cut or milled, so the trail is really cold.

Another possibility is some sort of pathogen. Have any of your birds shown any sign of illness no manptter how slight? Snicking, sneezing, bubbly eyes, runny nares, lethargy, lack of hunger?

This might not be helpful because of the ages. or your knowledge. Goslings are more apt to Pasty Butte than most birds. They have very thick down and it hardens over easily. With my hatchling s I spend a week turning them over and checking. After a week they go out to mamas pen Iv had 2 I have had to bring back in for that reason.

You might consider switching to Purina flock raiser also. I can’t say dumor has anything to do with it but it’s tractor supply’s store brand and it’s kinda garbage. I’ve seen a lot of people with chickens around here having issues with their flock while on various feeds under the Dumor brand.
I used dumor for a while and stopped because several bags contained pieces of plastic washers, nuts, and other hardware fragments.

Back
Top Bottom